Miter saw acting weird (re-titled thread)
(12-20-2018, 01:28 PM)CLETUS Wrote: .016" over 12" of crosscut?

That is perfect.

I am more than happy with that...but other guys would say they want more than that. There has been an obsession going around about squareness, flatness and straightness. judging from how some vendors make, PROMOTE, and sell their products based on expectations normally reserved for machinists and the like. Some woodworkers have been misled to believe they should work to the same standards of a machinist. They boast have this and that that is within 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001...mm (exagg.)

Simon
Those flat-head screws combined with the small countersink on the fence holes adds up to a fence that cannot be adjusted.

I'd visit my local home improvement center and see if their display model is assembled the same way, as it is possible you received a return that someone before you screwed-up.

If that is indeed how they're shipped from the factory, though, I'd ship it back and investigate alternatives.
Guess I didn't hit *post*.
Uhoh

Here is a poor quality pic of the screws they have previously used for 15-20 years on their saws. 

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-20-2018, 01:40 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I am more than happy with that...but other guys would say they want more than that. There has been an obsession going around about squareness, flatness and straightness. judging from how some vendors make, PROMOTE, and sell their products based on expectations normally reserved for machinists and the like. Some woodworkers have been misled to believe they should work to the same standards of a machinist. They boast have this and that that is within 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001...mm (exagg.)

Simon

*GASP!* 
Eek within 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001...mm is WAY out of square! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! 
Upset

Just kidding of course. 
Wink In all seriousness, I just put an edge of a big framing square to a board and tried putting my .016" (which I believe is equal to around 1/64") feeler gauge under it around the 12" mark and seeing how the gap looked...still is a BIT much for me. I found that around .012" was around the maximum amount of error that still looked relatively "perfect" to me over that distance without holding it up to a light or looking at it SUPER closely. I know 12" and .012" looks like a 1-to-1 ratio of a thousandth of error over each inch, but I think that's just an average. To test it I put the .006" under the edge of the square at around 6" in and it was a bit much for me. Thus, I don't think it's quite that linear of a calculation to make. For my 709, which cuts to somewhere between 9.5" and 10" wide (without the special setup), no more than somewhere between .008" and .009" of error over that distance would be close enough to perfect for me to be at ease about it.

I think I just gotta quit holding the square and piece of wood up to the light to check how big the gap is, hahaha. That's ALWAYS gonna show stuff that's more than like .001" or so!

And Stwood, thanks for the picture...that's really stupid that they switched to the design they have now! Those screws in the picture you put up look like they actually allow for adjustment. I could've avoided this whole process of having to re-order the fence if they had just left the screws and holes the way they were!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(12-20-2018, 07:16 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Here is a poor quality pic of the screws 

I think it is not the camera but how much you had drunk before you took out the camera!
Laugh
Laugh
Yes
Big Grin 

Simon
That could be..if I drank.
Winkgrin
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-21-2018, 12:54 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: That could be..if I drank.
Winkgrin
Laugh

The number of sidebar jokes in this thread...
Laugh

Get it...sideBAR jokes...cause you get drinks in a BAR? Anyone? 
Rolleyes
Near future projects:

Yes. Lol

Found your Type20 saw over at ereplacementparts.com
Parts are limited as it's a new production saw.
Fences are available for 58.00 and change. Strange that they would have fences so soon.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-21-2018, 01:49 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes. Lol

Found your Type20 saw over at ereplacementparts.com
Parts are limited as it's a new production saw.
Fences are available for 58.00 and change. Strange that they would have fences so soon.

*Sigh* Should've researched miter saws last year and gotten one last Christmas before this changeover happened. It was this model I had my eye on the most last year anyway, so there's a good chance I would have discovered it and if I had saved up a little extra around Christmas, I could have ordered one.

I've been thinking more and more...if this next fence isn't at least significantly better than the first one, I may just bite the bullet and try some modding after all. I REALLY like everything else about the saw, and I don't want to lose all of those things. I wonder if it's possible to get one of the previous gen fences? I wonder if one of those would fit my saw? That type of modding isn't unlike buying an aftermarket router base from the same company because the stock one doesn't work. Not that anyone should have to buy a PREVIOUSLY MADE fence because the CURRENT model fence is inferior, but there's a chance it could come to that. If one of those previous gen fences can be retrofitted to my saw, I sure hope they're cheaper than the one you just listed. $58 just for the fence?! I'm hoping that's because it's a new one and it's limited for now.

I know I've been saying this a lot lately, but MAN, I hope and pray this new fence is flat! 
Prayer
Near future projects:

Most of the major, bigger parts always seem high to me.
I would think the fence base hasn't changed, except for maybe the mounting holes?
I'll compare the bases after bit. Simple to do by looking up the fence 's from previous models on that site.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020