Miter saw acting weird (re-titled thread)
(12-16-2018, 03:40 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Speaking of returns, I've done quite a few test cuts on this saw...do you think I'd even get a full refund since it's been lightly used (provided I can't get a fence for this one that works)?

I am a bit confused. This is a new saw you got from Amazon, right? Why would you be calling Dewalt and not Amazon to return the saw or go over the issue?

If you made the test cuts, and found out the saw was a lemon, of course you should get the full refund. If I didn't try it how did I know it wasn't working, right? (Festool allows you to USE any of its tools (use, not test cut) and still get a full refund on the return within 30 days. Just sayin'.)

That's why I wouldn't attempt any material or structural fix myself on a new machine that does not seem right, unless it is done upon the advice of the vendor. "You broke it, you buy it" can be a vendor's defense.

I hope your call Monday gives you a good outcome.

Simon
(12-16-2018, 03:40 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Doesn't the Milwaukee have that same one piece fence, though? It seems my previous saw, which had the same style fence, had the same issue the DeWalt is having now. I don't think, if I end up returning the DeWalt, that I'll be going with another saw with a one piece fence. 

Speaking of returns, I've done quite a few test cuts on this saw...do you think I'd even get a full refund since it's been lightly used (provided I can't get a fence for this one that works)? I've read about people having these DeWalt saws with fences that were right on, and it sounds like the person above with the Milwaukee got one with a good fence, so I'm hoping that all points to a light at the end of the tunnel for the saw I have now. Still, it better be resolved with the next fence I get or else I'm giving up on the one-piece fence thing. Not sure who thought it was a good idea to make that style of fence anyway...seems like a two-piece system with elongated screw holes is a no-brainer that would allow one to get perfect or near perfect results.

I guess I won't ask to get the fence re-ground when I'm on the phone with DeWalt, but I gotta ask...there's a tool repair place about a half hour from my house (where I had the arbor replaced on my table saw years ago)...do those places typically do this type of re-grinding? Granted, re-grinding this fence there is a bit of a last resort, since it technically would cost me extra. I don't think sawing down the center of the fence would help since putting the bolts back into the holes in the fence results in it being positioned in a specific way (in other words, they make minute adjustments impractical).

I've had 5 dewalt saws, with access to a sixth saw. I still have 3 of them.
All DW705's, DW708's, and now a DWS709 (sons -construction, he wore out his DW708)

Non of them has, nor has had, a bent/crooked fence.
So I don't think this is a common fault of dewalts saws.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

In other words, Stwood, you're able to get a square cut from both sides on all those saws?

And Simon, I'm not gonna do anything before I talk to DeWalt. Thanks for the warning, though!

I gotta say, you two are the ones who have been the most helpful throughout this thread, so thank you!
Yes
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(12-16-2018, 05:10 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: In other words, Stwood, you're able to get a square cut from both sides on all those saws?

Yes.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-16-2018, 06:21 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes.

Great! Thanks again for all your help here!
Near future projects:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS361.../dp/B00YEWX4SK (price not including battery & charger)

seems to have received many good reviews, and it has a two-fence set-up. But a smaller saw than the one you're dealing with, and also not corded (may be it has a corded version).

Simon
(12-16-2018, 08:08 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS361.../dp/B00YEWX4SK (price not including battery & charger)

seems to have received many good reviews, and it has a two-fence set-up. But a smaller saw than the one you're dealing with, and also not corded (may be it has a corded version).

Simon

Unless I'm seeing things, this looks like a one piece fence to me...you can see the curved section that connects the two faces.
(12-16-2018, 08:08 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS361.../dp/B00YEWX4SK

Simon

Yes, Steve, that part (called the "yoke" based on some other stuff I read in the past couple days) seems to be there. Plus, I checked out the corded version of this one a while ago...seems like 8" is its max capacity (same as this one), plus with a blade that small it couldn't cut anything too thick. An 8" max capacity without a special setup is just a hair under what I'd like. The 709's capacity is exactly in the perfect range for my needs. It maxes out around at just over 9.5" unless you use the special setup (which I don't want to have to mess with on any regular basis). The widest single pieces I can see myself crosscutting (other than large sheet goods), based on projects I've done and plan to do, fall into the range of just over 6" to just under 10" wide. Plus, with what I've heard (or read) from others with a single-piece fence who haven't had my problem, I'm sure the issue with my current saw can be rectified. Heck, Stwood said in a previous post that his son has the same saw I do and it doesn't have this issue (and neither do any of his other current or past-owned DeWalts). So far, I'm feeling pretty optimistic!

And although I'm not gonna tell DeWalt this on the phone, if the new fence is not QUITE perfect but I can get, say, a perfectly square cut on one side and it's a few thousandths out at the far end of its max standard cut on the other side of the fence, that's more than good enough.
Near future projects:

Take your warped fence and put one end in a vice. Pad it with wood so you do not scratch it up. Clamp a board to the other end for leverage. Make sure to leave an area where you can check your results with a straight edge. Heat the center webs up with a paint stripper gun.This will not turn the center soft but it will make it less brittle.  Gently tweak the end of the fence and keep checking it. Do not be in a hurry. I bet you can straighten it in less time than you have spent complaining about it on this forum.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(12-15-2018, 07:05 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yep. I was thinking about that today while out and about, that it was most likely a bent fence. Bent or the casting settled back some after machining.

This is exactly what it is... OP can take the fence to a machine shop and have it ground. At my old job this would have been a lunch hour "government job".

This tool was built for the framing industry where plus or minus 1/16" is more than accurate.

However, checking it for straightness using a chinese straight edge and a plastic square is almost as laughable as expecting perfection out of this machine.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15