Carving the five minute wizard
Here's a Youtube video showing what you can easily whittle with a single detail woodcarving knife or pocket knife in just a few minutes, using "found" wood, twigs or whatever is at hand...It's even more enjoyable if you use a knife you have made, and there are plenty of Youtube videos out there teaching you how to make one without having to drill holes in the steel and use rivets to secure the blade...These little "wizards" can make refrigerator magnets or Christmas ornaments etc...Be sure to sign and date them..
Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlIr95-ZlCc
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Fun looking project! Doug did not identify the wood he carved. A quick flash at one point showed what seemed to be grain, perhaps at the beginning before ripping the block. Does anyone know? 

Now, I need to make a Wharncliffe-type bladed knife! Unless there is one somewhere in my mess that I forgot about?
In his other videos he says he uses basswood almost exclusively.

At about the 12 minute mark in this video Doug talks about basswood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv2V03OB-UQ
Thanks for posting that.  I have a chunk of basswood that needs some carving and just the knife to do it.
(12-15-2018, 03:37 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Fun looking project! Doug did not identify the wood he carved. A quick flash at one point showed what seemed to be grain, perhaps at the beginning before ripping the block. Does anyone know? 

Now, I need to make a Wharncliffe-type bladed knife! Unless there is one somewhere in my mess that I forgot about?
I think it was bass wood he used..That's what I have used for the most part..I do have two fairly large blocks of Jelutong that I am hoarding, waiting for the right idea to come along..but what to do??? It is expensive and very hard to get, and once it's gone...it's gone..
Sad
Sad Come to think of it...I have lots of wood stashed for the same reason.
Crazy
Crazy ...I was given a small piece of the nicest Olive I have ever seen by a friend at woodcraft today..it belonged to him, not the store..I wanted to buy the whole chunk, but he wouldn't sell...instead he cut a piece off and gave it to me..it's going to become a very nice handle for a small detail blade. That's a good friend that would do that!!!!!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Why Warncliffe? As he sheepishly says, "both of the Oar Carvers I have are standard 'whittling' Warncliffe blades!" No wonder they didn't like doing chip carving. I'm going touched.....  But, I will make a carver, or two anyway. I need to relax. And, chop off a finger.

I'm not super excited about buying basswood. Wish I had saved a couple branches of apple and tried carving green. There is the Alaskan Yellow Cedar; much like basswood.