Diamond stone suggestions
I'm thinking that I'm going to make the plunge into diamond stones and getting any from the water stones, Too much flattening and mess that goes along with it.

I was looking at the DMT diasharpe set plus the extra extra fine(3micron) stone as a polisher 

8" diasharp Set

Extra extra fine stone

What do you diamond stone users, or any one for that matter think of this set.
Bruce.
I bought a set of three "no name" diamond stones and could not believe how fast they cut; sharpening became a joy.  Then about the fourth or fifth time I got them out I realized they were not working as well.  I learned here on WN not all d/s are made alike and the user should follow the directions closely.  Three or four years ago I got a Trend 300/1000 and have been very happy with it.  Regardless of the brand, I believe they all "smooth" off to some degree.

PS, The d/s in the set were only about 6" long...that is too short!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Unless there is a new and proven vendor od diamond plates, I recommend DMT exclusively. They use mono-crystalline diamond coatings. Mono cuts better- it lasts much longer( they all lose some abrasive result as the very roughest points are "knocked off."

I have found DMT- both metal plates and the plastic laminations to be sufficiently flat that they get me to edges that earned me my nickname. I use nothing but water with some Dawn dish detergent. I DID NOT have the same satisfaction with DMT's 12,000 metal plate. I have had one for 7 years and would still be working on the same edge today. And, that is why you can call me "The Shapton/HorseButt Kid."
TFWW Diamond paste on Veritas steel plates. I use the back of my DMT plate (wore out) for one of the paste grits...... My muscles are too forceful, according to the experts, to use pre-surfaced plates like DMT. So, I happily use paste.
I use diamond paste on my HorseButt. We can joke about the name, but a top quality very hard leather mounted flat and loaded with your choice of paste grind and the skill to freehand the final edge without dubbing still give me the best I can do.

I have been out of "the picture" for quite some time, but I retain my confidence in my methodology. It is nothing genius--far from it, But, my left hand and wrist come to the same finish -polish edge every time. Lucky I guess; or "seasoned." I have to assume that there is a member here who has figured out how to surpass my results. Please educate me. I know the flat bevel result with "Worksharp" et al have taken over from the Tormek. But, I truly want to hear from those who are convinced they have a better sequence and tooling to get the ultimate edge. For me, as I have said before, HG has never let me down so the "green machine"" stays in a place of trust and honor in the shop. HOWEVER, my mind is open. Please educate me.

Thank you.

PS--- I do use a power leather wheel to freshen lathe tools, especially those intended to have a reliable curved cutting edge. I would  like to find a 6 layer, 10 inch leather wheel. I could see wearing that out even before I face-off with the Stanley-Bailey people in the sky.  I will be happily searching for Mr. "Bedrock " to anoint him and kiss his feet. The Bedrock is, in my humble opinion the finest iron plane design ever. I guess TLN agrees.  MT

PPS-I do not dismiss the genius of Rob Lee and his crew. They have advanced plane design while retaining good taste in the feel and appearance.
So in your opinion the DMT are the best diamond stone.

I’ll have to look into this paste and honing plate method before I pull the trigger but it does sound at least equally messy as water stone. Something I’m trying to avoid.
But It also sounds like it would last a lifetime with nothing to wear.

I’m all ears for any other suggestions.
Bruce.
Oh and what about the ceramic, I guess that’s the shapton stones?

How do they wear, is there much maintenance of the stones themselves.

Sorry on a mobile device
Bruce.
I have had dmt diamond plates mounted on my sharpening bench for over 5 years now. Walk over, spritz with water/Windex mix, and sharpen. Wipe down.

That's it, for thousands of sharpening... They just sit there. Perfectly fine.

There are many sharpening methods .. but their can't possibly be an easier one than this...
Yeah that’s what is really selling me on this method, easy and lack of maintenance.

Btw I’m getting fantastic results from the water stones, results are not the problem but more the lapping and just general mess on my bench top from sharpening sessions.
Bruce.
(12-15-2018, 02:24 PM)Mtobey Wrote: I use diamond paste on my HorseButt. We can joke about the name, but a top quality very hard leather mounted flat and loaded with your choice of paste grind and the skill to freehand the final edge without dubbing still give me the best I can do.

I have been out of "the picture" for quite some time, but I retain my confidence in my methodology. It is nothing genius--far from it, But, my left hand and wrist come to the same finish -polish edge every time. Lucky I guess; or "seasoned." I have to assume that there is a member here who has figured out how to surpass my results. Please educate me. I know the flat bevel result with "Worksharp" et al have taken over from the Tormek. But, I truly want to hear from those who are convinced they have a better sequence and tooling to get the ultimate edge. For me, as I have said before, HG has never let me down so the "green machine"" stays in a place of trust and honor in the shop. HOWEVER, my mind is open. Please educate me.

Thank you.

PS--- I do use a power leather wheel to freshen lathe tools, especially those intended to have a reliable curved cutting edge. I would  like to find a 6 layer, 10 inch leather wheel. I could see wearing that out even before I face-off with the Stanley-Bailey people in the sky.  I will be happily searching for Mr. "Bedrock " to anoint him and kiss his feet. The Bedrock is, in my humble opinion the finest iron plane design ever. I guess TLN agrees.  MT

PPS-I do not dismiss the genius of Rob Lee and his crew. They have advanced plane design while retaining good taste in the feel and appearance.
Mike...the .060" thickness steel/diamond plates sold by Amazon and mounted on a Worksharp {or a Veritas MKII} are an eye opener.
Big eek
Big eek ...After so long a time sharpening, it takes a lot to surprise me, but theses discs did just that...They cost about ten bucks each in 6" diameter and are available in a multitude of grit sizes..I have about six or seven of them now, including three for my MKII which is 8" dia.,..They require very little "downforce" to use but they cut quickly and consistently. After they lose the first "bite", they perform as you would expect..I sharpen freehand on them and I use a few drops of any type of oil for a little lube to reduce "loading"..The 8" diameter discs are large enough for chisels and smaller blades to be used by hand and off the Worksharp machine, used just like a hand hone...They do offer one disc in the 8" size that has an industrial coating and heavy concentration diamond. It's about 16 buck IIRC..These things can also be used to sharpen carbide lathe tools and router bits.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset