Fence - with pics
I am building a corner decorative fence, i.e. only a corner.

When I drew it up, I included the herring bone top and bottom.  Now that I have the front section done, I am thinking about leaving the bottom section as it. 

What do you think?

Attached Files Image(s)

I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
In my opinion, stress on opinion, it looks half done.  If it was meant to be "on purpose", I would think the single herring bone would be in the middle.

Again, just my opinion.
I'd do the bottom as well. What about having the herringbone on the bottom point the opposite direction?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I may be wrong but it looks like it has sagged some already.  If it hasn't, it will over time unless you add the bottom section.  You could change the pattern if you like, but you need more vertical support for a span that wide to prevent sagging.  Even then you might still need a foot in the middle.  

John
You aren't done! Even by your own admission. Get to WORK!! 
Big Grin

That's a pretty pattern, and looks hard to make. However, the fence is unfinished, no matter which way you look. You really need far bigger beam(s) than what is there. Sister a deep one--maybe, 2x6, 6" exposed--below the bottom of the decoration, a helper for that 2-inch twig holding up a crap load of wood; and a duplicate for the lowest rail. Jack the panel up first, even crowned, so everything settles level.

Then fiddle some designs for the empty section; but maybe, not the existing pattern. Or, flip the pattern as suggested. Just don't repeat it. Makes it look like a mistake. Your eyeballs will go nuts....

What does the fence do? Decorative? Hide a hot tub? An obnoxious view? The purpose can almost dictate the design. Which is why everyone thinks it is unfinished; even if they don't admit, it is uncomfortable as a whole right now.

Edit. You may have a reason for the gap to the ground (mower?) but additional support from the ground is needed even with two additional 2x6's. The oversize posts (columns?) and shaped rails disguise the true scale. Is that a 10-foot span? If so, at least one more small jack, following the pattern angle, from the ground will help. Two will carry the module harmony.
I see a fine lattice on the bottom to grow cucumbers on- you could call it pickled herring. 

Rolleyes Yeah- that's bad.
(12-16-2018, 09:08 PM)hbmcc Wrote: What does the fence do? Decorative? Hide a hot tub? An obnoxious view? The purpose can almost dictate the design. Which is why everyone thinks it is unfinished; even if they don't admit, it is uncomfortable as a whole right now.

It is decorative. 

It is an 8' span, using 5/4 X4.  The herringbone is 5/4 x 3.

Perhaps diamonds on the bottom, or just /\/\/\/\.  If I put a single support in the center, The diamonds or W's will provide support for the top.  The herringbone itself does stiffen the span.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I like the look.  I think it only looks half done because you put it on the top section.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-17-2018, 06:38 AM)Cecil Wrote: It is decorative. 

It is an 8' span, using 5/4 X4.  The herringbone is 5/4 x 3.

Perhaps diamonds on the bottom, or just /\/\/\/\.  If I put a single support in the center, The diamonds or W's will provide support for the top.  The herringbone itself does stiffen the span.

..... I have a photo ... somewhere.... It was a rail fence surrounding an historical marker, not sure how old the fence was. Just the 2x4 rails, flat, and 8' span. Western Cedar. Over the years they sagged from their own dead weight at least a foot. The toed nails actually slid out from a post on one side.  Even 2x4 rail and boarded screen fences need to sag and sit on soil to support themselves. 

If you can't add the beams, set at least two interior post-type braces on concrete pier blocks. Expose 4" of the block so the braces don't rot so quickly. Make sure the 5/4 by 3 lattice and rails are thoroughly framed rigid vertically over the braces. That may be enough rigid support to prevent sagging. 

You can always add X-bracing let into the rails. If it doesn't prevent sagging, it will help keep the whole panel solid when the thing falls over..... Looks pretty bad too. 

Design-wise, in this situation, you may find the lower panel feels better if it is more solid than the upper. I'm back walking myself, but your original design may work best. I was being sympathetic with what I interpreted as a desire by you to simplify the design, and mostly construction. You can always build the panels flat then attach them to the posts, which will make building far easier than in the field. Use jigs. Have fun. 

You will find once it is completed to your inspired image, it will bring pleasure and all, well most, of the effort will fade. It's a good feeling.

Ps. I meant to add that your design came out very close to the actual perspective we see in the photo. Another effort you didn't bring up, but we noticed. Thanks for sharing and making us feel important too.