Woodsmith's edge sander plans!
So I just got the latest issue. Big project this month is the edge sander, utilizing an 89" belt.

I want an edge sander but they're pricey. I have spare 2hp motors I can use for it (calls for a 1hp, 3450rpm, 56 motor).

This thing looks simple to build and promising, though I'd probably lean towards a stainless steel platen instead of plastic laminate.

Anybody else studied it yet? Am I getting too excited about building it?
Semper fi,
Brad

I have the jet, so no, not looking into building one.
But very interested in following a build, if you take on the challenge.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If I do take it on, it'll be later this spring, at best. I have a Roubo bench and another cradle that have priority.
Semper fi,
Brad

Brad, I'm just across the river. If you need help, let me know.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Yes, I am considering building it. It seems to be a very well thought machine without a lot of complicated parts. I didn't think much about all of the particulars because my shop is closed down for the winter. but come spring. Since you mentioned SS I think I will check out flat ground stock from MSC. 

Please don't take read a lot into my reply because i am just in the thinking stage  but I did buy a belt sander once and the table was just awful to adjust up and down, I sold it. I didn't like sanding in one spot. I will admit that there are time when it would be real handy. The Woodsmith's plan addresses some of that problem but one manufacturer has the table at an angle so the whole belt can be used without adjusting the table up and down. Here is hoping someone with experience with that type of table will give some pros and cons.

I think Woodsmith did a great job in the designing and building this one. It is difficult to design and build one that everyone can build form their plans using readily available materials.  It is very easy to inter preconceived ideas to make it better. I guess it is far easier to build a better mouse trap than to build the first of its king mouse trap.

Anyway I will be following this thread.

Tom
Yeah, I'm in the same stage, Tom. If I do build it, I'm gonna look into possibly making the sanding face longer, which would require adjusting the width of the whole machine.

If I do that, I'll redraw the entire plan in Sketchup and print it.
Semper fi,
Brad

I picked that mag up yesterday as I am interested in building one too.

I'd love to make it oscillate but I can't see how to do that with the motor directly driving the belt.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
Yeah, that's not something I would wish to even try to modify. My first immediate thought would be to have a separate motor that would oscillate the belt *and* the motor up and down as a single assembly. If the table moves as easily as they profess, though, it shouldn't be much trouble to raise and lower it to hit the whole surface.
Semper fi,
Brad

I've often thought of retro'in the table on my jet at an angle. Wouldn't be to hard to do.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

What do you mean, "at an angle"?

Wouldn't you want the table to be perpendicular to the belt?
Semper fi,
Brad