DW 735 planer question
I’m interested in upgrading from the 734 to the 735 and do the Shelix cutterhead conversion. I was in Lowe’s the other day they had a reduced price sticker on the shelf ($549) and I asked somebody why it was a certain color that is usually used for an item that was going to be discontinued. He said it must be because a new model is coming out. Does anyone know anything about a new model in the works?

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
The Lowes near me is closing so nearly everything in the store is marked down.  Have not heard anything on a new DW model.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
could be dewalt has a next gen 735 coming.
(12-18-2018, 08:15 AM)tomsteve Wrote: could be dewalt has a next gen 735 coming.

I’ve looked online and I’m not seeing any rumors of it. Thought someone here might know. If not then I’m going to take advantage of the sale and get one.
For what it's worth, that's the planer I would get if I needed a bench top model. This DW735 doesn't usually come with the in- and out-feed tables which seems pretty important. I don't think Lowes carries those in stores and you'll need to buy them on line. I did a quick search and noted that Amazon is selling the DW735X with the tables and extra set of knives for $590. You might also check Acme Tools. They're selling the same thing for $599 and, depending on where you live, won't charge you sales tax.

By the way, bench top planers are notoriously loud. Save your ear drums and get a good set of ear plugs or ear muffs!
(12-19-2018, 02:18 PM)dg152 Wrote: For what it's worth, that's the planer I would get if I needed a bench top model.  This DW735 doesn't usually come with the in- and out-feed tables which seems pretty important.  I don't think Lowes carries those in stores and you'll need to buy them on line.  I did a quick search and noted that Amazon is selling the DW735X with the tables and extra set of knives for $590.  You might also check Acme Tools.  They're selling the same thing for $599 and, depending on where you live, won't charge you sales tax.

By the way, bench top planers are notoriously loud.  Save your ear drums and get a good set of ear plugs or ear muffs!

It’s cheaper for me to get the non X package and buy the tables because I’m going to install the segmented cutterhead. I guess I could always sell the knives if I get the X package and that would help a little. 

Jeff
I've used my 735 without the tables for a decade or more. Never really needed them. With careful feeding, making sure you have the board flat against the bottom planer "table" and lifting slightly on the end of the board as it exits, snipe is minimal to non existent.
(12-21-2018, 09:11 PM)danceswithticks Wrote: With careful feeding, making sure you have the board flat against the bottom planer "table" and lifting slightly on the end of the board as it exits, snipe is minimal to non existent.

Great advice right here.  I learned yesterday by lifting the piece as it exists minimizes planer snipe to almost nothing and I don't use in feed/out feed tables on mine either.  I also noticed when planning end grain cutting boards with the steel knives I would get chip out when the cutting board left the cutting knives.  With my new spiral cutter head there was no chip out what-so-ever but I always glue a sacrificial board on both ends of the board anyway.