Grizzly 10" Wet Grinder Kit versus Tormek
Curious about any differences between the Grizzly 10" wet grinder kit and the Tormek version. The Tormek costs about 5-6 times more than the Grizzly, both have grinding wheels that turn for sharpening.   I am seriously thinking to purchase the Grizzly unless someone can convince me otherwise.  

Thank you for your help. 
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-.../T10010ANV

Very interesting
Big Grin

Any experience with it out there?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Not familiar with the Grizzly...does it have the micro-adjust on the tool bar? I can do camber with the Tormek that Charlesworth demonstrated.

But with the price difference, I would go with the Grizzly. They are simple motor machines after all.

Simon
I know there was a lot of buzz about them when they were introduced, they are made by Sheppach which isn't a shabby name. It might pay to compare the jigs, tho. I have some that were sold by the now defunct Jet grinder, and they aren't nearly the quality of the Tormek jigs.  the early reviews said the Tormek jigs would work on the Grizzly grinder.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I recall Fine Woodworking doing a review on Tor, Griz and Jet, ranking them in that order in its final evaluation. The T-8 is no doubt the best among them, but at a much higher price. I don't know the current price difference between the winner and the runner-up, I think it was $400 or something like that at the review time...not sure about that figure though.

Simon
Seems Grizzly had a out-of-round stone problem there for a while, some years back. No, I don't have one.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If you are willing to spend the money on a Tormek don't even consider the options.  The Tormek precision and build quality is in another league.  The low-end Sheppachs that Grizzly and Wen sell are right one the edge of even usable.  Sheppach does make a better unit under their own name now (the model is "Tiger") that is actually decent but still falls short of the Tormek.  I am not saying some people don't find the Wen and Grizzly useful however avid comparing them to a Tormek in person if you aren't willing to pop for a Tormek.   I feel like someone should be able to make a Tormek quality machine without the ability to run 8-10 hours a day in commercial use and still be under $400, but as so many things today your options seem to be limited to a Tormek or a Tormek shaped object.  

BTW I owned the Wen, tried a friend's Grizzly and finally bought a Tormek.
Haven't been here for a while except lurking on occasion. I don't have any experience with any of the models.

I have been engaged in a similar discussion on another forum recently and only learned of the Wen model. Less expensive than the Grizzly, plus the attachment set is less than 1/2 price of the Grizzly, Function and quality seem about equal. I did notice the Wen has a micro adjust on the tool rest which Grizzly does not offer (yet). Wen is available both through Amazon & BORG for almost same price.

Lots of You tube videos on both plus the others mentioned. I suppose it comes down to budget and frequency and type of use. I'd considered the Grizzly, but am going to give the Wen a shot after the first of the year. Would love to have the Tormek but would love to have a Mercedes or Morgan too. My $.02.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
(12-18-2018, 06:40 PM)Grandpa Dave Wrote: Would love to have the Tormek but would love to have a Mercedes or Morgan too. My $.02.

Laugh  (But I don't feel like owning a Morgan
Sad )

"Less expensive than the Grizzly, plus the attachment set is less than 1/2 price of the Grizzly,.."

Sounds promising.

Simon
OP here,  Grandpa Dave, I used to have a Morgan,  1958 +4, 4 seater. Was actually my only car and every day car during my university years.  ( 1967-1972) Sold the car to make a down payment on my first house, excellent investment.  Now, 50 years later, thinking about a Grizz or a Wen, or a Tormek.   I do not do a lot of sharpening and thought the Grizz model might be a good option for me and also I only live 15 minutes from there real store outlet.    I viewed a U-tube video with someone disassemble and examine the innards.  Not very impressed with the bearings.  

At this point, unsure of which direction to go. Maybe Buy another Morgan?