Looking for photo app to use here.
I upload to the forum, but you have to have some method of resizing the image first.  Personally I use GIMP, which is an Open Source version of Photoshop. Means it's free of both cost and advertising / tracking crap. It's overkill for this task, but it also lets you convert / crop / adjust / edit picture to however advanced a level you want. 

All you need to do resize for the forum is
Open the image, 
Select Image / Scale, setting the size you want, maybe 1,000 pixels wide for onscreen viewing and sensible file size. 
Then File / Export, saving as a .jpg with a different name "mypicture-resize.jpg"
Then use the attachment function to put the image in your post. 

OK, maybe that sounds complicated, but you follow those 4 basic steps, ignore the 100 other menu options, and you have complete control over your files. The files are then stored on the Forums own server, and aren't at the whim of some internet company that suddenly realises that free hosting doesn't make a profit.
(12-19-2018, 10:55 PM)ianab Wrote: I upload to the forum, but you have to have some method of resizing the image first.  Personally I use GIMP, which is an Open Source version of Photoshop. Means it's free of both cost and advertising / tracking crap. It's overkill for this task, but it also lets you convert / crop / adjust / edit picture to however advanced a level you want. 

All you need to do resize for the forum is
Open the image, 
Select Image / Scale, setting the size you want, maybe 1,000 pixels wide for onscreen viewing and sensible file size. 
Then File / Export, saving as a .jpg with a different name "mypicture-resize.jpg"
Then use the attachment function to put the image in your post. 

OK, maybe that sounds complicated, but you follow those 4 basic steps, ignore the 100 other menu options, and you have complete control over your files. The files are then stored on the Forums own server, and aren't at the whim of some internet company that suddenly realises that free hosting doesn't make a profit.

Here's a link to download gimp:

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
I also like Flickr. It makes it easy to get a properly formatted link so the image shows in the forum and you can select the size without having to resize your image. And the viewer can click on the image and see the full sized image if they want.
[Image: 46343026852_c27993a503_n.jpg]
Sorry to seem unthankful. I posted a reply to how I resolved the issue over on the woodturning forum. Forgot to come back here.

The resolution was a lot simpler than I thought it would be. The answer was sitting here on my laptop all the time and I didn't reaize it. Here's how I resolved it: Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions on the way they post their photos and the apps they use. To TDKPE a special thanks for reminding me that MS Office has Photo Editor as on of its tools. Didn't realize it was sitting there already on my computer. I have never had to use it before. Was simple once I gave it a try.

Happy holidays to everyone.

Yup. if you have MS Office, then the Photo Editor program will do a good job of basic cropping and resizing. GIMP is overkill for just that. But it's an option for anyone that doesn't have Office, or needs some more advanced editing.
(12-19-2018, 05:55 PM)Admiral Wrote: Second vote for Flickr
Been a Flickr member since '07, I believe. I wanted to post a pic recently but was stymied by the TOS. I grabbed the pic off the web from Google image search and cannot post it to Flickr in order to post here because the image is not mine. I'll deal with it after the new year.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard