Controlling V-cuts
I'm practicing cutting equally spaced, adjacent beads and trying to freehand the required equally spaced V-cuts with the tip of my skew. I mark the spacing with dividers but try to eyeball the depth and side angles.

These cuts are not coming out uniformly enough for my liking. Can anybody explain how to get more uniform V's or give me a reference to an article with that kind of information?
I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!
(12-19-2018, 12:15 PM)DaveLeard Wrote: I'm practicing cutting equally spaced, adjacent beads and trying to freehand the required equally spaced V-cuts with the tip of my skew. I mark the spacing with dividers but try to eyeball the depth and side angles.

These cuts are not coming out uniformly enough for my liking. Can anybody explain how to get more uniform V's or give me a reference to an article with that kind of information?

Old boys would use a bruzz.  Not many around nowadays. http://www.hansbrunnertools.com/2016%20S...uzz600.jpg Upper is the bruzz.

Bedan, straight chisel or beading tool - not a skew - is the tool I'd use.  Mark the peaks with one color pencil, bottom of the valleys with another.  Use your thinnest parting tool to fix the the bottom of the valleys, then use a straight chisel to roll the beads.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I am much better with my straight chisel than skew at most any chisel work.
I'll use a pencil to mark where I want the point to be then plunge the skew into the line and try to get it nice and deep before working the bevels on either side. Practice on rolling the skew into the cut is the best way to become proficient. As  you can see I have room for improvement.

Cellulose runs through my veins!
Appreciate the tips, they've been very helpful. My lines of cuts are beginning to look respectable -
I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!
I'm not a wood turner by any account, so when I had to make a few dozen rosettes with multiple beads an d a button in the center, I ground a file to shape four small beads with a single cut. I also found it useful to make several matching honey dippers with two cuts.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
As with most things is a lot of practice and using different woods also.  That way you will know how to do it on wood that is hard to work with and wood that is easy to work with.  I practiced for 6 months or so and also still practice on scrap wood that is still left in the chuck or between centers.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.