New jaws for a Bench Vise
Earlier, I had already replaced  one of the jaws...so...needed to remove that assembly..

And set it aside for a bit...which left this ugly thing..
Rolleyes

To get to the metal part of the vise...a 3/4" veneer was to be removed, first....wound up just splitting off the wood, as the screws were a bit too buggered up..
No

I could get to the two lags...saved those.  Some of the screws did come out...and right into the trash can.  Which left this..thing
Rolleyes 

Handsome, ain't it
Rolleyes ..screws every which way...split the old 2 x 4 apart,  visegrips to crank the screws out...Laid out where the metal will go in the new jaw...had a few places to notch around....plywood back of the bench...floor of the tool well....big notch for the vise....then decided to rebate out  for the jaw to sit in....router for the rebate..
Rolleyes 

Test fit..
Cool 

Will line these with cork, when the cork gets here...Pilot holes for the lags....then drill again..first were a tad too small...then go and find a ratchet and breaker bar to drive the lags in,  Then test fit into its new home...more pilot holes...3" screws into the bench's legs.   Counter sunk.....Drive one screw..check the top of the jaw so it is level with the top of the bench, drive another...re-check, adjust..drive another....then two screws in from each end...and up from the tool well's floor....

And a pair of #12 screws through the face of the metal jaw, into the wood behind it...Then another test fit..
Cool 

To install this heavy thing...crank it closed...check for fit...couple high spots to sand down ( metal jaw  and planes don't play nice..) re-check...
Cool 

had issues with the top of the leg vise's chop being too high....Beltsanded that down flush with the top of the bench....then gave all the new/bare wood a coat of BLO

Chop on the leg vise is 100 yr old Sycamore, BTW. 

Part 2?    Small detail....dog holes..and new dogs....stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Cool 

Older craftsman vise. Those are/were good vises.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

nice!

when was the last time you laid eyes on that "handsome" exposed end view?

Cool
Last time?  Was when I installed that vise...bought the vise in 2015, I think.....$10 for just the vise itself...

Ok...Need dog holes drilled...

Straightedge to try to center things....
Rolleyes  

Got the drill set up...PEXTO No. 8012...with a Craftsman #13 bit.....
Cool 

This WILL give you a Cardio Workout..
Winkgrin  Made one hole....took a break...

Little later, drilled another, centered on the center row of dog holes..

had a dowel...was a tad too big....slimmed it down, made a pair of "long" dogs..

And a pair of short dogs...short ones for the vise...all have a notch..

That I can either use, or not use, depending on how long the board is...
Winkgrin  

Board (Ash) was a tad too short...turned the dog 180*  was just right.   Thin strip of plywood, keeps racking to a minimum,  Plane? 

3 patent date, Stanley No.3c.   Dogs held the board in place so the plane could take a few shavings.  
Cool  

Still have a 2 x 4 x 24" piece of that Ash....may have to find a use for it
Confused
Rolleyes 
Not too bad of a Project?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Not bad....not bad. You gonna etch your name in that, for the next generation to eyeball??
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-21-2018, 04:15 PM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Cool 

Older craftsman vise. Those are/were good vises.

I just sold one of those I still have an American made version.  They are nice
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Nice upgrade. Vise looks happy it's getting a few days off at the end of the year.
Sleep
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!