any pics of a mitering guide for frame and panel?
I feel like other people have probably done this better than I would do.  I forget the Fine Woodworking issue where I learned about using a guide for cutting these miters with a chisel.
Hi Eric

This was taken about a dozen years ago ...

[Image: Buildtheframe_html_m3ee54841.jpg]

[Image: Buildtheframe_html_m1f4022ac.jpg]

[Image: Buildtheframe_html_m51f3222.jpg]

This link takes you to an article on my website:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/B...frame.html

I do not have a close up of that particular guide, however I made a double ended version for mitering through dovetails. The essential design elements are a mitred board for registering the chisel, and a side fence ti ensure that it remains square.

[Image: 17a.jpg]

[Image: 18a.jpg]

[Image: 19a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thanks Derek.  Here is a picture of mine.  I need more practice, but I think the miters came out okay
[Image: 46051726694_9b5f4d81a7_z.jpg]IMG_20190112_141542676 (1) by unterhausen, on Flickr
Eric,

I think it looks good. You should be happy with the results
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Quote:This link takes you to an article on my website:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/B...frame.html
I do not have a close up of that particular dissertation writers for hire guide, however I made a double ended version for mitering through dovetails. The essential design elements are a mitred board for registering the chisel, and a side fence ti ensure that it remains square.

Thanks for sharing, Derek.
Is it possible to cut these miters with a manual mill? I guess it might be faster. Or is it better to cut it with a chisel?
Anyway, I still have the eternity of time (as I retired) to dig into a pile of projects in my workshop.
Looks good.

Your bench is almost as messy as mine, but I would be careful with placing chisels over top of sanding pads. Only two things can happen when edged tools meet sandpaper and that depends on if its intentional or not.
Spindle speed is a bit low on most mills, I believe.  I think you could do it otherwise, it would be a bit of a setup issue
(02-20-2019, 07:46 AM)TerryLewis Wrote: Thanks for sharing, Derek.
Is it possible to cut these miters with a manual mill? I guess it might be faster. Or is it better to cut it with a chisel?
Anyway, I still have the eternity of time (as I retired) to dig into a pile of projects in my workshop.

What is a manual mill?

I use a miter jack with a chisel for trimming those corners for the miters. I think a chisel is just as fast as anything else. If you saw them, they will probably need trimmed up with a chisel anyways.
(02-20-2019, 10:49 AM)Scoony Wrote: What is a manual mill?

(02-20-2019, 07:46 AM)TerryLewis Wrote: Thanks for sharing, Derek.

Hi Terry

No doubt you could use a manual mill. But why would you? You could use a router and guides to shape dovetails, but it is also possible to do so with a backsaw and chisels. Two different processes, one hand and one machine. I'm sure that either method can end up as acurate as the other. Setting up the machine method takes time. Using a simple guide with a chisel takes very little of this, and is so much more satisfying for those wanting to master handtools.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com