Premade cabinet doors
Is there a supplier of unfinished cabinet doors that can fill an order for minimal to no sap?
We’re going with hickory.

I asked Raw Doors and they do not do min to no sap. That’s not necessarily a sale killer, but little to no sap is what we prefer.

Thanks
Ray
Have you tried Caldoor.com. It has been years, they did very nice work. Sanded and ready to finish.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
My experience with hickory lumber from local trees here in michigan
shag bark , bitternut ,and pig nut all have a lot of sap wood
I have not seen any hickory that does not have at least some sap wood
Even the larger trees that i have turned into lumber lots of sap wood
(12-24-2018, 07:04 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Is there a supplier of unfinished cabinet doors that can fill an order for minimal to no sap?

I asked Raw Doors and they do not do min to no sap. That’s not necessarily a sale killer, but little to no sap is what we prefer.

Thanks

rawdoors.net
Raw doors.net does not do min to no sap

I know sap is common in hickory, but I’m willing to pay extra to have min to no sap if a supplier is willing to do the work for it.

I’ll check into Caldoors.
Anyone have other suggestions?
Thanks
Ray
Check out Valendrawers.com, they also make doors but I'm not sure about wood varieties, it might be worth a call.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
Don't want to be a wise guy, but this is a woodworking forum. Why not make them yourself? Lot's of knowledge here.
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
(12-24-2018, 07:04 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Is there a supplier of unfinished cabinet doors that can fill an order for minimal to no sap?

Thanks

Interesting I had them make me maple doors, and it was totally clear AAA wood.
Fair question. I would make them myself, and I might still, but these are just a bunch of kitchen cabinet doors and not some sort of heirloom piece and after working on this kitchen in my spare time, including making cabinets, for the past 6 months I just want to have it done and get back to doing things that are fun to make.
Now you might ask, as others have, why didn’t I just buy the cabinets as well? Because i made the cabinets custom one at a time to fit the small space we have and maximize the storage space without the use of spacers and such that can take up otherwise usable space.
In making the cabinets I have no visible sap wood on the face frame, so I would like the same on the doors.

I have no reason to doubt the quality of work by Raw Doors it’s just that they do not fulfill requests for min to no sap. in my experience there’s a lot more color variation between heart wood and sap wood in hickory than in maple. Plus I’m just doing a clear coat of lacquer with no added color/stain. We like that and it keeps the cabinets more easy to repair and refinish than, say, a stain with a poly top coat. I like the color variations between heart woods and between heart and sap wood of hickory but Loml only has appreciation for the heart woods of hickory, so that’s what we’re doing.
Ray
Try Arkansas Doors.

Hickory as a rule has a lot of lighter, sappy wood. Trees are not big enough to get colored, heartwood lumber.
If it is, the big suppliers are on it, getting it before you do.
If you did get no sap color doors, the wood strips would all be pretty narrow.

Might have a better chance of more color if you went with a flat rail-stile-panel door, with the insert being veneered hickory ply or mdf.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020