Mystery bubbling in the final coat of Christmas toybox.
I just sprayed the last coat on a toybox for my grandson and it bubbled.  Trust me, plenty of swear words have been said just now.  Fine thing to ruin it on Christmas eve. 

Rattle-can spray paint.  I knocked down dust nubs and evened out the texture with 000 steel wool, then cleaned it all up, vacuumed, compressed air, tack cloth.  Could tack cloth residue be to blame?

Its going to be a really late night now.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
(12-24-2018, 08:16 PM)Alaric Wrote: I just sprayed the last coat on a toybox for my grandson and it bubbled.  Trust me, plenty of swear words have been said just now.  Fine thing to ruin it on Christmas eve. 

Rattle-can spray paint.  I knocked down dust nubs and evened out the texture with 000 steel wool, then cleaned it all up, vacuumed, compressed air, tack cloth.  Could tack cloth residue be to blame?

Its going to be a really late night now.

Yes, the tack cloth might be the reason.  Or it could be oil from the steel wool, or in your compressed air.  Or it might be that the finish and/or toybox was too cold.  I would wipe it down with mineral spirits (but check to make sure it doesn't lift the paint), and make sure everything is at least 65F or more when you spray the next coat.  Good luck.

John
(12-24-2018, 09:31 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Yes, the tack cloth might be the reason.  Or it could be oil from the steel wool, or in your compressed air.  Or it might be that the finish and/or toybox was too cold.  I would wipe it down with mineral spirits (but check to make sure it doesn't lift the paint), and make sure everything is at least 65F or more when you spray the next coat.  Good luck.

John

Thanks John.  I didn't even think of oil in the steel wool.  I know the compressed air was clean and dry.   Its got to either be from the tack cloth or the steel wool.  It's barely 60 now in my shop and I won't be able to get it any warmer until the sun is out as my shop heat is rather pathetic - it takes the winter edge off but 65F is out of the question without the sun to help.  So unfortunately it will have to be delivered as is with grandpa fixing it later.  The frustrating thing is I almost did wipe it down with some mineral spirits and then decided not to because of the time.

me-> 
Slap <- me

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Small air like bubbles or previous coat lifted? Could it be " recoat within 1 hour or after 48 "? Stated on a lot of directions for use. Rattle cans can be frustrating at times.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I think I may have solved the mystery.

My shop is heated with one of those gas IR heaters.   When I first installed the heater I placed it so the heat was aimed at my tablesaw.  The next day the saw surface was rusty.  I realized that very fine droplets from combustion were ending up on my tablesaw.  I moved it so that it was pointed out over my workbench.  I finish my projects on that bench. I put a piece of hardboard over the bench to protect the bench and then I can spin the project by spinning the hardboard.   I was standing on the opposite of the workbench to spray, the front of the toybox was toward the IR heater.  I first sprayed the inside, then the back, and the two sides, and then I turned the box around and sprayed the front last. 

My guess is I had very fine droplets of combustion condensation from the IR heater on the front of the box.

The toybox went under the tree as was, and a couple of days later I had the chance to fix the finish, it looks fine now and my grandson is happy.

Glad you may have gotten it fixed.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020