Spindel Sander
My only regret with my Rigid is that I waited so long to buy it. On the few occasions I wanted to shape something, I used a belt sander in a sanding frame for years. Bought the Rigid and it works so well for what it is that it has opened up my idea of what a spindle sander can do. It now comes out on almost every project.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
Twas just over at the HD and noticed the SS @ $249-. I could be wrong but I thought it was $199- for the longest time. A $50 jump overnight. Perhaps all this good praise here at WN got their attention.....
I have a Ryobi OSS that I bought about 15 years ago at HD for around $100.It has worked great.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(12-29-2018, 07:10 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Twas just over at the HD and noticed the SS @ $249-. I could be wrong but I thought it was $199- for the longest time. A $50 jump overnight. Perhaps all this good praise here at WN got their attention.....

It was a long time ago that I bought mine, so my memory may be faulty.  I bought it right after the color switched from gray to orange.  But I think I paid over $200 for mine,  IIRC.

Doesn't matter, though.  It was a bargain when I got it, as far I'm concerned.
(12-29-2018, 07:10 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Twas just over at the HD and noticed the SS @ $249-. I could be wrong but I thought it was $199- for the longest time. A $50 jump overnight. Perhaps all this good praise here at WN got their attention.....

It happened in the last month, the speculation is the tariffs finally got applied to the retail price.
(12-30-2018, 10:10 AM)Huxleywood Wrote: It happened in the last month, the speculation is the tariffs finally got applied to the retail price.

Thank you. Glad to know I was not imagining things yet. Only a matter of time....
Smile
(12-30-2018, 08:36 AM)WxMan Wrote: It was a long time ago that I bought mine, so my memory may be faulty.  I bought it right after the color switched from gray to orange.  But I think I paid over $200 for mine,  IIRC.

Doesn't matter, though.  It was a bargain when I got it, as far I'm concerned.

They were just $200 for a long time.  I've had mine maybe 10 years and am very happy with it.  It's orange, but I would just use it blindfolded if that bothered me.  (Don't lecture me on safety:  I'm being sarcastic.)
(12-26-2018, 12:27 PM)firefighter Wrote: I have a big project coming up that would make it nice to have a spindle sander. I don't have room for a floor model (and don't want to spend the money) so I'm looking for recommendations. I think the $500 Jet is a little extreme. HF is not a consideration IMO. Maybe I would use one more if I had one but I rarely the sander on the DP, so this may be limited use.

Thanks

I've had this Delta Boss for ~15 years or so now and have been completely satisfied with it, albeit it is seldom and lightly used. Bought it at Lowe's on sale but it looks like they no longer carry it. Also looks like they've all gone up considerably in price in recent years. Reviews are still good on it and the current model looks just like mine.

Doug
(12-31-2018, 01:35 AM)Tapper Wrote: I've had this Delta Boss for ~15 years or so now and have been completely satisfied with it, albeit it is seldom and lightly used. Bought it at Lowe's on sale but it looks like they no longer carry it. Also looks like they've all gone up considerably in price in recent years. Reviews are still good on it and the current model looks just like mine.

Doug

Very similar to my Ryobi.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Many years ago I purchased a spindle sander from HF and greatly enjoyed its function and quality.  I have sense purchased another one just at the time they closed out on this sander.  This same sander is now sold by Grizzly  Grizzly G0739 Benchtop 1/2 HP Oscillating Spindle Sander  and woodcraft and others.

This machine is strong, durable and used very often. My two machines are mounted side-by-side, same level, different spindles and handy.  Although spindle changes are easy, I save a lot of time having two machines.  If space allowed I would add one more for even more versatility and am thinking to do this later this year while re-organizing my workshop.  We all have more money than time, no matter what your income level is.     Have fun!!!