Wiring Connections for A Light Post
It has been decreed that lights on posts like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OW...UTF8&psc=1

will be installed as soon as I am able at the end of our road.  The other option is to leave the 4" candy canes I built several years ago up all year.    It dark out here.   Weather permitting I'll  be starting the work this weekend.  I will have all the wiring in conduit.  My plan is to have all the posts in concrete, the conduit will come up inside the post.  

Something like this:
[Image: lamppost-OverLg.jpg]

Is that basically it?  Does it matter how far up into the post the conduit goes?  These posts come with ground outlets but Im not sure how far off the ground they are.
Far enough that water does not enter the conduit.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I’m thinking I can drill a small weep hole in the post 1” or so above the concrete just in case water does get in.
Consider installing an outlet that isn't controlled with the light switch. Very handy for lawn care/ Christmas lights etc.

I also purchased a motion detector that is mounted under the light, light comes on for set amount of time (example 4 hours) at half brightness. It will come on full brightness when it detects motion when dark. I've had it a few years, and it does't work with LED'd though.

My outlet is about a foot off the ground
these lights will be out by the main road... dusk to dawn sensors. I got them because the description says a ground outlet for christmas lights. I won't have to run extension cords any more.
Is there a hand hole on the light pole usually near the base. I would bring the pipe to the hand hole. Also as mentioned an outlet on the pole would be nice for other uses being you are running power out there. Many times they bring the pipe up into a weather proof box and an outlet is at base and nippled into pole. many ways of doing it. No water should get into the pole because if it does then you should consider raising the pole above the base to let it drain out.

Most light posts are anchored to a cement base and not in direct hole. Do you have a photo of your light post??
John T.
(12-27-2018, 08:48 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I’m thinking I can drill a small weep hole in the post  1” or so above the concrete just in case water does get in.

It may already have one in it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Your conduit should be at least 18" below grade by code. Now this is just one mans opinion but I think a steel lamp post (not too thick to start with) will last 3-5 years if water gets in it and cannot drain out. I can tell you that a steel lamp post with concrete around it, with 3/4"stone under it, will last about 30 years; slightly more or less depending on how many time your wife hits it with the rider. Also if it's anywhere near as close to the street as the mail boxes in my town, it won't make it through the first winter. I suggest the concrete be 2' wide, 2" above grade in the center, and only as deep as 1" above the bottom of the post resting on/in the stone.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(12-28-2018, 12:46 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Your conduit should be at least 18" below grade by code.

He's asking about how far UP the conduit should be above the concrete, preferably up into the pole.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-28-2018, 01:13 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: He's asking about how far UP the conduit should be above the concrete, preferably up into the pole.

correct.  If FedEx is correct they'll deliver the parts a day early.  I can't do much with the rain today but it will give me a chance to look things over and see how connections should be made.

I will have gravel in the bottom of the hole with cement around the post.