Tree identification help
Bark isn't giving me a fuzzy feeling of it being an oak. And the worm damage I see would make me question the usable wood. Small tree, outer part has worm damage, then the heartwood is right there close.
Moving it 75 feet without grass damage, getting it sawed/milled, I don't think it's worth the risk.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-28-2018, 02:41 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Bark isn't giving me a fuzzy feeling of it being an oak. And the worm damage I see would make me question the usable wood. Small tree, outer part has worm damage, then the heartwood is right there close.
Moving it 75 feet without grass damage, getting it sawed/milled, I don't think it's worth the risk.

I'm agreeing with you on this one.  I may volunteer my services helping saw it up for the pastor (unless he has someone else that needs firewood) but I work with his son and had mentioned I'm looking for any hardwood or fruit trees for woodworking projects so he mentioned it to his Dad (pastor) and they are giving me first dibs on it if I want it.

Thanks for the help identifying this tree guys.  It's appreciated.
Yes
(12-28-2018, 12:55 PM)Duane N Wrote: That's the problem....no leafs on the tree and there are other trees around it so I have no idea.

around here(metro detroit), red oaks hold some leaves through the winter.
(12-28-2018, 02:41 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Bark isn't giving me a fuzzy feeling of it being an oak. And the worm damage I see would make me question the usable wood. Small tree, outer part has worm damage, then the heartwood is right there close.

If it's Sweet Gum it isn't worth it IMO....That's why it's so popular for pallet construction...it's super strong and not good for furniture because it moves so much...warps like crazy....but it's hard as hail to break!!!!
Crazy
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

What's your geographic location, approximately? That could help narrow down our options a lot.

With most oaks, there's a darker heart and lighter sapwood, and I'm not seeing any distinctive heartwood in the pics you posted. The darker spots are characteristic of sweet gum, though.

When I'm trying to identify a tree, especially in the winter, I look carefully around the base, not just for leaves, but for shell fragments. Oaks, sweet gums, hickories, pecans--they're all surrounded by telltale nut fragments that the squirrels leave behind.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
If its limb stock, it likely has internal stresses which is a can of worms you don't want to get involved with. Too much work, looks good for firewood.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
What size and color are the gumballs?  That looks like the Tupelo/ Black Gum I took down in my back yard -- it was hollow and had taken a bad lightning strike.  Didn't get much good wood out of it because it was too thoroughly rotten by the time I got it dry.

The gumballs on that tree were size and color of peas.  

Afraid I'd pass on the log, and I'm a wood hoarder
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I've taken down several large sweetgums in my yard. It starts rotting before it hits the ground. Very heavy and wet wood. Starts spalting in a couple months. One way to tell quickly... try to split a log. It will break off in chunks, even in a splitter. It won't split. Leaves are a 5 point star.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay