Belsaw Folley planer
Does anyone out there use a bf 9103 planer, I'm thinking of replacing the feed rollers and roller chain and maybe a couple of other parts to get it to run better. Any one have any experience doing this, is there any gotchas.
Sold mine 12 or so years ago. Very decent machine, just wasn't wide enough for what I needed.
Chip collection was bad, well, there wasn't any. Lol
I made some shrouding for it.

Oh..keep the junk cleaned out from under the roller holders, where the pressure springs are.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Belsaw has a website you can order parts from. You can take the rollers off and and clean them with mineral spirits. Unless the chains are broken you can remove them and set them up again. It’s a pretty foolproof machine. Belsaw has a manual you can download.
Don
(12-28-2018, 08:20 PM)wing nut Wrote: Does anyone out there use a bf 9103 plan% er, I'm thinking of replacing the feed rollers and roller chain and maybe a couple of other parts to get it to run better. Any one have any experience doing this, is there any gotchas.

I have the manual, I built a chip collector that gets 99 % works like a champ. better then woodmaster.
(12-28-2018, 08:20 PM)wing nut Wrote: Does anyone out there use a bf 9103 planer, I'm thinking of replacing the feed rollers and roller chain and maybe a couple of other parts to get it to run better. Any one have any experience doing this, is there any gotchas.

I had one for 5 or 6 years.  Bought it abused and rebuilt most of it.  It's a really simple machine, not much you can't easily figure out.  I bought the parts (bushings, chain, compression springs, belt) I needed for it from McMaster Carr.  The rubber rollers were in pretty poor shape but they still pulled the work through the machine so I never replaced them.  You can buy new rollers from Belsaw or get them recovered, however, if needed.  

John
Belsaw-Foley! Now that's a name I haven't heard mentioned in many years. darn I am getting old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(12-29-2018, 10:57 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I had one for 5 or 6 years.  Bought it abused and rebuilt most of it.  It's a really simple machine, not much you can't easily figure out.  I bought the parts (bushings, chain, compression springs, belt) I needed for it from McMaster Carr.  The rubber rollers were in pretty poor shape but they still pulled the work through the machine so I never replaced them.  You can buy new rollers from Belsaw or get them recovered, however, if needed.  

John

I also have a woodmaster, but the folley belsaw was my goto planer, their both a joy to use, they can realy hog off wood and leave a beautiiful finish.  I got the folley for rough planing but it does such a great planer I started using if for everything except heavely figured wood, where I use the woodmaster with a shelix head.
I used these guys on recommendation for an old school Makita planer.  I sent them the old rollers and they stripped and recovered them with 70 duro polyurethane for $74.55 each (back in 2009).  Great customer service and the rollers came out perfect.

Phil Cronin

Sales Manager       
Western Roller Corp.
63393 Nels Anderson Rd.
Bend , OR 97701
Ph. 800-541-2317 or 541-382-5643
Fax 541-382-0159      
www.westernroller.com
Before replacing the rollers, try cleaning them first with "rubber cleaner-rejuvenator"

The solution is designed for rubber rollers in photocopy and printing machines.  

It cleans and slightly softens up the rubber.  I've also used it for cleaning golf grips.
My .02
Karl