Miter saw fence problem: solved! (in theory at least)
(01-01-2019, 11:57 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes, and I'm not in here trying to mess a thread up.
Winkgrin

PM sent.

DT
Happy ending at last.

If you plan to cut or trim small pieces, make sure you build yourself some zero clearance jigs with fences that can handle 90* or other angles.

Now that you have tuned your saw to make square cuts, test it for miter cuts and/or bevel cuts.

Simon
(01-02-2019, 10:45 AM)Tapper Wrote: PM sent.

DT

Awwee gee Doug. Thanks. Such a kind and loving soul. But I have too many now, so I'll send one back.
Winkgrin 
Ya see, when they implemented the new software, it puked at some point and tripled my pm's, leaving me with something like 592, and I haven't had time to go through them and empty them all out.

Thanks.
Wink
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-02-2019, 11:33 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Happy ending at last.

If you plan to cut or trim small pieces, make sure you build yourself some zero clearance jigs with fences that can handle 90* or other angles.

Now that you have tuned your saw to make square cuts, test it for miter cuts and/or bevel cuts.

Simon

Will do! Next thing for me will be setting the bevel stops. 

Quote:Great, now that you have your miter saw figured out move your fine cuts to a sled on the table saw as mentioned by several people on this forum- zero clearance on the two important sides, better supported blade (smoother cut), wider capacity, almost no chance of going out of square, and ability to safely cut much smaller pieces.  Your miter saw will become a rough cut tool as it should be.

Haha, time will tell how my miter saw's near perfect accuracy holds up! I'll have to upgrade my table saw at some point. My DeWalt 745 is just too small. I made a crosscut sled, and it is mostly accurate, but it's awkward to use on a table saw this small.

When I do get around to writing a review months or so from now, I forsee my rating of it will be as such: I'll probably end up giving it a 4 star review, averaging out from about a 3.5 star review as it comes out of the box (everything's perfect but the fence adjustability range, which is a big factor IMO) and about a 4.5 star review after doing mods (taking a half star off because you most likely have to machine a bit off of the fence wings to get them to work with almost any screws that would allow for the fence to be adjusted significantly).

The only problem is this: You have to use the account you ordered the item on to review it on Amazon, or at least I think so. Last time I tried to review an item I didn't order on Amazon, my review wasn't accepted. I used my mom's prime account (as I don't order from Amazon enough to justify having a prime account), so I might have to post the review as written by me under her account. I wish Amazon would just let reviews be posted regardless of whether you bought the item on your account or not.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(01-02-2019, 07:10 AM)KyleD Wrote: Great, now that you have your miter saw figured out move your fine cuts to a sled on the table saw as mentioned by several people on this forum- zero clearance on the two important sides, better supported blade (smoother cut), wider capacity, almost no chance of going out of square, and ability to safely cut much smaller pieces.  Your miter saw will become a rough cut tool as it should be.

+10000
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(01-02-2019, 03:01 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Awwee gee Doug. Thanks. Such a kind and loving soul. But I have too many now, so I'll send one back.
Winkgrin 
Ya see, when they implemented the new software, it puked at some point and tripled my pm's, leaving me with something like 592, and I haven't had time to go through them and empty them all out.

Thanks.
Wink

You're welcome, "Bud" - favor returned.

DT