Great glue spreader
I was edge gluing some table tops today.  Five-inch wide maple boards to make five 45" square table tops.  Used Kreg pocket holes to pull them together.

Since I'm still moving into new shop (where I was working) most of my tools are still in the old shop.

So I was looking for something to spread the glue when I spotted a McD's large drink cup with lid.

Found out that the lid made a great spreader.  Used upside down the curve is great for spreading a line of glue across the surface and if it gets a little too heavy the same curve can bring the extra back to the middle.  The thin edge can also be used to scrape up any extra that dribbles off the edge.

Works great -- try it for yourself!
Big Grin
Big Grin
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Great idea and suggestion. Hope McD's doesn't get wind of this though
Wink
Big Grin

These work great too...from Dollar Tree for well a dollar each...
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
(12-29-2018, 11:24 PM)Grandpa Dave Wrote: Great idea and suggestion. Hope McD's doesn't get wind of this though
Wink
Big Grin

These work great too...from Dollar Tree for well a dollar each...

My favorite glue spreader is a motel card key. They also make great shims, 1/32".
Bill
(12-29-2018, 08:19 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I was edge gluing some table tops today.  Five-inch wide maple boards to make five 45" square table tops.  Used Kreg pocket holes to pull them together.

Since I'm still moving into new shop (where I was working) most of my tools are still in the old shop.

So I was looking for something to spread the glue when I spotted a McD's large drink cup with lid.

Found out that the lid made a great spreader.  Used upside down the curve is great for spreading a line of glue across the surface and if it gets a little too heavy the same curve can bring the extra back to the middle.  The thin edge can also be used to scrape up any extra that dribbles off the edge.

Works great -- try it for yourself!
Big Grin
Big Grin

I think we probably have some of those lids in the **misc** kitchen drawer, along with a 1,000 other lids.
Rolleyes 

I keep all my old credit/debit cards for glue spreading.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Will have to try the plastic cup lids for that. I have a collection of card keys, expired credit cards, driver's licenses and those fake cards that sometimes come in mailings from AMEX or other credit card companies. I also cut up the lids from yogurt and sour cream containers. The containers are great for mixing epoxy.
Go to Starbucks and ask them to save you a few of the spent gift cards.  (They end up with several each week.).

Those cards work well (and the price is right).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.