Yarn Bowl
My daughter recently took up knitting so mywife asked me to make her a yarn bowl for Christmas. 
I had a Cedar blank, so off I went. 
Cutting the cedar round on my bandsaw looked like cutting a ham, the grain was very nice.
Turning the bowl was simple. Cutting the hook opening for the yarn, not so much. Rotary tool was too aggressive. Ended up using a coping saw, little short strokes inside the 6” diameter bowl.

Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Inside of the cutout looks good from here.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-30-2018, 04:44 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Inside of the cutout looks good from here.

An assortment of small, shaped files helps!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
A buddy of mine makes a lot of those.His wife is a knitter and they do a lot of craft shows,so they sell well.He uses various woods,that cedar looks great.He also uses a coping saw.Nice job.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Sometimes a hand tool trumps a power tool.
(12-30-2018, 07:09 PM)Woodworm! Wrote: Sometimes a hand tool trumps a power tool.

No doubt! I still hand fit mortise and tenon joints with a shoulder plane and just finished the next episode of Woodcademy, part of which shows using a card scraper.

If I do another of these, I may dig outmyJapanese keyhole saw!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
The results were well worth the effort.  Great looking bowl.
Which rotary tool did you try? Any recommended pattern for the shape of the groove? Did you drill the terminal hole?
Looks great Ralph.

That is one of the reasons I love working with Red Ceder.  It has so many colors of purples, pinks, browns, blacks, tans, and the knots.  Fantastic looking wood to me.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-08-2019, 07:04 PM)WOODMAC Wrote: Which rotary tool did you try? Any recommended pattern for the shape of the groove? Did you drill the terminal hole?

I have a Ryobi motto tool. A different bit might have been better, but the coping saw seems to be the best solution.

A “J” shaped pattern seems to be the most common. Mine started with a more pronounced ear hanging down into the curve of the J, but some got “lost” along the way.

Yes, I did drill a terminal hole first. Not sure if that is best, that is how the ear got lost, as the saw connected with the hole.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com