Recommendations for sharpening videos
I’m getting back into turning after a couple years away. Even when I was turning daily I was never super happy with the edge I got sharpening my tools. Any good YouTube videos?

I have an eight inch slow speed grinder with white aluminum oxide wheels. 80 and 120 grit with the older Oneway sharpening system.  Also have the Worksharp 3000. Still suck at getting good edges.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Thompson tools has a decent one. Cindy Drodza has one for her detail gouge. One way has one for the Wolverine, but not that great. I think craft supply also has some
Lots of sharpening links on www.penturners.org

I think Glenn Lucas also has some.

The AAW YouTube channel has some as well.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Jim

I am pretty sure I have two dvds on sharpening if you wish to borrow them.  Just send me a pm if you do.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-31-2018, 12:26 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Jim

I am pretty sure I have two dvds on sharpening if you wish to borrow them.  Just send me a pm if you do.

if he doesn't want them, and they cover bowl gouges and the length of the fingernail and the effect it has on the cut, I would like to borrow them.  I still can't find any good writeups on the length of the fingernail grind.  I have a 1/2" gouge with very long wings.  I have a 3/8" with much shorter wings.  The 3/8 is easier to control and cuts more easily.  I'm not sure if that's the fingernail or its simply sharper.
(12-31-2018, 04:28 PM)crokett™ Wrote: if he doesn't want them, and they cover bowl gouges and the length of the fingernail and the effect it has on the cut, I would like to borrow them.  I still can't find any good writeups on the length of the fingernail grind.  I have a 1/2" gouge with very long wings.  I have a 3/8" with much shorter wings.  The 3/8 is easier to control and cuts more easily.  I'm not sure if that's the fingernail or its simply sharper.

Send my a pm with your email address and I will take some pictures and send the DVDs to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin, thanks I have some sharpening dvds and still can’t get things as sharp as I’d like. Thanks for the offer but send them to Crockett.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.