Saw Guys: Disston 99
I came across a late model ('06, without the three medallions) 6 pt rip, carved handle, in pretty nice shape, and was surprised to find it marked a No 99.  I read what the Disstonian website said, but was wondering who knows more about this saw, Disstonian says its uncommon.....  when I get it cleaned up a bit later this week I'll post some pics, but I'm worried about aggressive cleaning if it is truly collectible.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I just sent a quick message to Mike Stemple. He would know if anybody would.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(01-01-2019, 04:22 PM)Admiral Wrote: I came across a late model ('06, without the three medallions) 6 pt rip, carved handle, in pretty nice shape, and was surprised to find it marked a No 99.  I read what the Disstonian website said, but was wondering who knows more about this saw, Disstonian says its uncommon.....  when I get it cleaned up a bit later this week I'll post some pics, but I'm worried about aggressive cleaning if it is truly collectible.

I soak my tender restores in EvaPoRust overnight...or, at least, a few hours. I built a long shallow 'bathtub' out of plywood and foil for that purpose. Then a green scrubber will get it about as clean as needed.  I've cleaned up some pretty rusty saws like that.  Sure would like to see a pic of what you're describing!
good luck,
Don
Here's a couple of pics of the etch; I took some Autosol polish to it after a single edge razor blade removed the gross rust:

[Image: 45838834264_09c44a230c_b.jpg]

[Image: 46510857232_421c14ebf8_b.jpg]

When I took off the handle, there was no "X" under the handle.
Here's pics of the saw:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...5267764125