Home Theater
(01-03-2019, 08:22 AM)Gansett Wrote: Hang in there for a few weeks as there will be sales leading up to the Super Bowl

Thought about that as well.

Doing my due diligence now, and if I pull the trigger, I'll make sure the store would honor a 30 day price protection.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(01-02-2019, 08:51 PM)MGoBlue1984 Wrote: We.have 120" screen, with a projector. Denon AVR,  all came with the house.

<<< Looked into projector systems in 2001 when I set the home theater up.

Preferred the rear projection for simplicity.

Same reason I went with the Bose, rather than a more elaborate surround sound system.
When I was laying out my home theatre about 8-9yrs ago I found lots of good info on size vs. viewing distance on several sites dedicated to high end video. Just getting a 75" and slapping it up may work, but if you are too close OR too far you will not benefit from the extra real estate. Do some googling and figure out what size range is appropriate for your set up. Based on that info I ended up with a 65" Panasonic Plasma whose picture STILL puts new sets to shame.
(01-03-2019, 09:20 AM)vernonator Wrote: When I was laying out my home theatre about 8-9yrs ago I found lots of good info on size vs. viewing distance on several sites dedicated to high end video. Just getting a 75" and slapping it up may work, but if you are too close OR too far you will not benefit from the extra real estate. Do some googling and figure out what size range is appropriate for your set up. Based on that info I ended up with a 65" Panasonic Plasma whose picture STILL puts new sets to shame.

I hear you, completely.

I did that then, and again, now. Unfortunately, I disagree with the newer recommendations for 4K Ultra.

They say 6.3 to 9.4 feet away for a 75" screen, in order to "see the detail".

Hello....I don't want to "see the detail", as we see enough skin blemishes now with HDTV. LOL

I want to enjoy a movie....not examine it under a microscope. LOL

The recommendation for HDTV is more in tune to my liking, but even then, maybe just a tad too close.

9.4 to 15.6 feet.

My viewing distance is right around 14 feet. The 75" set should suit us well.

(We're enjoying a 64" now, but it is being viewed at 12 feet. The 75" should be perfect.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-T8e49GL3Lp...ement.html
Our old house had a 25 foot TV to couch distance so we have a 75"

Our new house is a tiny house and viewing distance is about 6-8 feet.  The other day we was talking about how when we are walking by we both say how huge that TV is at this house.  But when we are watching it we NEVER think its to big.

I hear they have an 84" now.
Vaping Bad.........
The new wave is a "Drive-in" theater. You gotta a lot of catching up to do.  
Laugh

Actually I don't watch TV much.
For you folks who have 4K...

Go to You Tube, and open "Breathtaking Colors of Nature in 4K"….there’s at least 2 or 3 of them.

Wow !!!
What did you end up buying?  I have an LG OLED and love it but expensive for the larger ones.  I'm sure some other sets have a great picture but when I viewed the demo side by side the OLED was quite a bit different.  That was comparing to a Sony I was looking at, QLED might be different never did a direct comparison.
(01-22-2019, 05:36 PM)barnowl Wrote: For you folks who have 4K...

Go to You Tube, and open "Breathtaking Colors of Nature in 4K"….there’s at least 2 or 3 of them.

Wow !!!

For things like this, i'm sure you can notice the difference of 4k.  We added 4k to netflix--what a waste of money... i don't notice a bit of difference.

I've seen some videos online talking about how the human eye can't really see in 4k...thought that was interesting.

Colin
Got a Samsung Q6 on Black Friday. 75", stunning. Size is about right @ 13', and the color and image speed is awesome. I did upgrade a console to the xbox x, which is the model with a 4k (UHD) player in it as well. Planet Earth 2, Blue Planet 2 in UHD are both amazing titles to experience on an HDR / 4k set.

Not a lot of content yet, but it's improving
Smile

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem