Dewalt 28v Tracksaw any ideas on how to power it?
(03-15-2020, 11:18 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Here you go buddy

https://www.dewalt.com/product-repositor.../43/dc9280

I here they work great, of which I mean the track saws.

Unfortunately because Dewalt discontinued the 28v and 36v Lithium ion series of tools several years ago they no longer make the battery, so while it’s listed at your link, it doesn’t lead to any retailers locally or online that actually have them.

Thank you for the link.
If you could build or buy an adapter Milwaukee has the M28 & V28 battery packs.  May need a Milwaukee charger though. Dan
Sorry I did not hit the buy button.

I seen two of them on Ebay that need rebuilding and that looks like the only way to go.
Crazy
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Talk to the folks at MTO about building a "battery belt" like Video camera operators used to use. Run a cord from it to the saw and make "man glitter"!

A little more trouble to plug and unplug ( or take belt off) but would get the saw back up and running.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Try a "Batteries + Bulbs" store.

Last year I purchased Rayovac clone batteries for an old Dewalt flashlight there.
Not an electrical wizard, so not sure I understand it in it's entirety...but is something like this (or something similar) an option to power the track saw with 110v? It's about powering an 18v tool, but I don't think the tool voltage would matter if it was 18 or 28v in this modification:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Cordles...120240VAC/
(03-19-2020, 08:40 AM)Steve in Nova Scotia Wrote: Not an electrical wizard, so not sure I understand it in it's entirety...but is something like this (or something similar) an option to power the track saw with 110v? It's about powering an 18v tool, but I don't think the tool voltage would matter if it was 18 or 28v in this modification:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Cordles...120240VAC/

I have a 24vdc 30amp switching supply very similar to the one in that instruction. 

I have tried it wired directly to the leads on the motor, and it will move the blade about 1/4 inch then power off, I am assuming that the saw pulls more startup current than a drill.

Great suggestion, at some point one of us is going to come up with a way to get one of these to work and will pull a bunch of these Dewalt 28v tracksaw off the shelf.

Duke
(03-19-2020, 12:08 PM)JDuke Wrote: I have a 24vdc 30amp switching supply very similar to the one in that instruction. 

I have tried it wired directly to the leads on the motor, and it will move the blade about 1/4 inch then power off, I am assuming that the saw pulls more startup current than a drill.

Great suggestion, at some point one of us is going to come up with a way to get one of these to work and will pull a bunch of these Dewalt 28v tracksaw off the shelf.

Duke

Put two 12 volt car or lawn mower batteries (the lead acid type) in series and you get 24v D.C. with plenty of available amperage and use a heavier wire to run to the saw and see if that works, it should.   Roly
This power supply should do the trick Supply
You would need to use heavy wire.

Larry
Larry
(03-19-2020, 12:08 PM)JDuke Wrote: I have a 24vdc 30amp switching supply very similar to the one in that instruction. 

Duke

I replaced the switch in a 20v Dewalt impact driver over the weekend, and the new switch came with the battery connection.

With very little to lose, I took the battery connection from the 20v and hooked a 20v battery up to the 28v tracksaw.

I just clipped the wires from battery input on the tracksaw, and spliced them to the 20v connector. 

And I’ll be darned, it came on and ran.

I did a short test cut in 3/4 plywood, and it worked pretty well.  I don’t know how it will work long term or how much battery life to expect, don’t even really know if it will overheat and prematurely kill batteries, but at least there may be hope for powering the defunct old Dewalt 28v line. 

Now if had the time or inclination, I should model and 3D print a mount for the battery that mates it to the 28v tool...