Dewalt 28v Tracksaw any ideas on how to power it?
Amazon is the second worse place to buy batteries after Ebay.  Almost without exception fakes.

26650's are actual the worst batteries to get good ones as none of the big names make them.

I no longer use 26650's for anything as, long story short, THEY SUCK.

If I had to use them I would use Aspire brand.  Again watch for fakes.  The link I put above has them.  The problems with 26650's are still there but at least its wwell built crap.  

If you really wanna do this search Utube for Mooch.  Battery Mooch as he's generally called.  His is the final word on batteries.
Vaping Bad.........
For what are apparently decent 26650 batteries with fast enough discharge to work the saw, I’m looking at $8 per battery.
$64 plus shipping for a maybe is more than I’m willing to spend on this saw right now so its going to go back on the shelf.

I did manage to consolidate the cells from the two batteries that I have now, and at least have one battery that works so it may see some use until that battery dies.

I also looked at Home Depot and Lowes for a battery operated dewalt saw that has the blade on the right.
All of the ones that I saw had different enough screw holes in the housing to lead me to believe that they probably wouldn’t be very easily adapted to use the track mechanism.

I did use one of the adapters to run 18v tools from 20v batteries and powered up the saw motor, it sounded like it probably wouldn’t cut very well which is no surprise since the motor was designed for 28v and it was only getting about 18-20v.

Now I’m curious if I could pull the motor out of a corded circular saw and cram it in the housing, but as long as I have at least one 28v battery that works, I’m not ripping it apart any further.

I’d still be interested in an adapter to run it on 110 if anybody sees one or sees an eBay auction.

Duke
(01-13-2019, 01:12 PM)JDuke Wrote: For what are apparently decent 26650 batteries with fast enough discharge to work the saw, I’m looking at $8 per battery.
$64 plus shipping for a maybe is more than I’m willing to spend on this saw right now so its going to go back on the shelf.

I did manage to consolidate the cells from the two batteries that I have now, and at least have one battery that works so it may see some use until that battery dies.

I also looked at Home Depot and Lowes for a battery operated dewalt saw that has the blade on the right.
All of the ones that I saw had different enough screw holes in the housing to lead me to believe that they probably wouldn’t be very easily adapted to use the track mechanism.

I did use one of the adapters to run 18v tools from 20v batteries and powered up the saw motor, it sounded like it probably wouldn’t cut very well which is no surprise since the motor was designed for 28v and it was only getting about 18-20v.

Now I’m curious if I could pull the motor out of a corded circular saw and cram it in the housing, but as long as I have at least one 28v battery that works, I’m not ripping it apart any further.

I’d still be interested in an adapter to run it on 110 if anybody sees one or sees an eBay auction.

Duke

26650's suck and are expensive, I forgot to mention that part.  For top dolla you get crap batteries that work poorly and have questionable pedigree.

For half the price you can get 18650's that are name brand (LG, Samsung or Song) that preform much better, last longer and have better real world MaH.

I hesitate to mention this but they make a sleeve that a 18650 slips in and makes it 26mm.  I do not know how this would work for you.
Vaping Bad.........
Sean,

Do you think the 18650’s would have enough power to run the saw?

I have seen on amazon a review for 26650 that showed where someone had accidentally pulled the end off, and inside there was an 18650.

Duke

At this point, I’d have to buy another 28v battery to scavenge the circuit board from since the one I have is burned up.
(01-13-2019, 01:48 PM)JDuke Wrote: Sean,

Do you think the 18650’s would have enough power to run the saw?

I have seen on amazon a review for 26650 that showed where someone had accidentally pulled the end off, and inside there was an 18650.

Duke

At this point, I’d have to buy another 28v battery to scavenge the circuit board from since the one I have is burned up.

26650's, 18650's and 20700's and so on are all the same voltage.  4.2v at full charge and 3.2v dead and often stated as 3.7v to reflect a mid-range.

How  the get this voltage is the detail with the devils.  What can be done with 18650's until now and 20700's moving forward is pretty amazing.  The last couple years have been insane for batteries.

While they all put the same voltage they differ in amps and life, listed as MaH.  Generally speaking those to things are opposite ends with more of one equaling less of the other.  An example would be a flashlight 18650 which will have impressive life but little amps.  So they would make a tool battery that would last forever except for the fact the amp draw would cause it to blow up in a way that blow your nutz off.<---bad choice.

On the other end a 30amp battery would be safe as heck and run for about a minute.

As 26650's all have pretty low amp ratings (and really high fake MaH ratings)  you'd be super safe in the mid-range.  Best cluck for your buck in the mid-range is likely the Samsung 25R or LG brown turd (HE2) I think.  With a solid 20amp rating and 2500 MaH these honeies will spin the pee outta a saw.

They are both super common in tool batteries.

For any case a 26650 was good enough a Samsung 25R from a trusted source (of which there are several) will run the tool and be super safe.  Assuming the soldering is correct which I am not involved in.
Vaping Bad.........
An example of adapter cases.

https://www.ebay.com/i/123568397511?chn=ps

While Ebay is counterfeit central for battery stuff I can't see the harm in this case.

Be aware of the ships from.  Ebay is mostly China which is fine cause that where everything is made anyway but don't stand by your mailbox cause its prolly gonna be 2+weeks.
Vaping Bad.........
Going to revive this thread in hopes that someone else may have a solution.

I’ve been looking at several different versions of the DeWalt circular saw, and am thinking that there must be one that has a corded motor and housing that could be retrofitted to these 28v boat anchors that DeWalt sold.

Anyone have any luck
It was suggested to have the batteries rebuilt. Did you consider this option?
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-15-2020, 09:05 AM)museumguy Wrote: It was suggested to have the batteries rebuilt. Did you consider this option?

Yes, considered it, and as mentioned did try to rebuild one without much success, burning up the circuit board in the process. 

By the time I buy another battery case, and have it and the one that I have already rebuilt, that’s throwing way to much toward keeping an obviously crappy platform alive. 

If I could find an AC adapter that would power it, I’d do that. 
I have even tried a 28v 10amp adapter and that’s not enough to spin the blade even connected directly to the motor. 

At this point, if I can’t find a relatively inexpensive way to convert it to AC power, I’ll probably take the base off and see if I can adapt it to a router, or some other such use. 

Duke
Here you go buddy

https://www.dewalt.com/product-repositor.../43/dc9280

I here they work great, of which I mean the track saws.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.