Dewalt 28v Tracksaw any ideas on how to power it?
Several years ago when the Dewalt 28v cordless tracksaws were being cleared out, I jumped on one.
I used it enough that when one of the batteries died, I went ahead and got a corded version.

I really like the corded version and will definitely be keeping it.

In the last few weeks, I have been taking stock of whether I should keep some stuff, and the Dewalt 28v cordless saw showed up.

It looks like Dewalt has discontinued that line entirely and doesn’t support them any more.

I can’t even seem to find non OEM batteries for it on amazon(although I haven’t checked EBay)

I’d even consider a corded voltage converter if such a thing existed.

Today I took one of the battery’s apart, and it looks like its 8 26650 Cells, does anyone know of a source for the cells to rebuild this battery?

Duke
https://www.rtdvapor.com/batteries/

This place is excellent.

How to solder them in I do not know.

I do know 26650 batteries suck.  Alot.  Try to find a way to use 20700 (ideally) or 18650's.

The voltage of all the above is the same so the same number of batteries will give the same voltage.  Trouble with 26650's is the core is to far in a can't get rid of heat fast enough.  20700's splve this.  They are whats in all current gen tools.
Vaping Bad.........
(01-01-2019, 06:44 PM)Sean® Wrote: https://www.rtdvapor.com/batteries/

This place is excellent.

How to solder them in I do not know.

I do know 26650 batteries suck.  Alot.  Try to find a way to use 20700 (ideally) or 18650's.

The voltage of all the above is the same so the same number of batteries will give the same voltage.  Trouble with 26650's is the core is to far in a can't get rid of heat fast enough.  20700's splve this.  They are whats in all current gen tools.

I think the batteries in the packs I've dismantled have all been spot welded.
DeWalt DID make a 110v converter for the 28v line.

Ebay would be your only hope.

Ed
The 26650 size is what fits into the existing case, so that’s what I’m going to try to make work.
I appreciate the advice to use a different cell, but with a 5mm longer (20700) I can’t see a way to make it fit.

Maybe if I had a 3D printer...

I’m thinking I can use a car battery to spot weld tabs and we will see if it works. If it does, I may want to see who else has some of these tools and batteries laying around collecting dust.

As for the dewalt adapter, I haven’t seen one, I vaguely recall that some aftermarket company made one several years ago, but can’t seem to find it now.

Duke
http://esiequipmentglobal.com/rescue/pro...apter-kit/

I found it again, but at $976 it’s rather cost prohibitive.

Duke
No, DeWalt made it, check expired auctions on ebay, nothing listed currently.

The local electrical supply house had a bargain table last year, there was one on it........

Ed
Jason Abel, a member here, does batteries and repairs. MTO battery on the web
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Tried the 26650’s from amazon and after one fried control board, I got one battery working, or at least partly working.

The battery shows charged on the charger within seconds.

Once on the tool, the battery works for a few seconds then tapers off like dead, cycle the switch again and it powers up again but dies within a few seconds, this cycle repeated as long as my hand held out.

So in theory if I can find a rapid discharge 26650 then i might be able to make it work, but I’d much rather adapt it to use a more current production battery.

Duke
I'd dump it on craigslist or Ebay and buy something new and supported.   I've learned it's a mistake to try and nurse obsolete battery technology around with tools.  Dewalt is a popular name so capitalize on that and make your headache someone elses.
WoodNET... the new safespace