You guys that have one of the magazine thumb drive thingys
can maybe answer a question for me about them. I have a 3 drawer file cabinet with all my back issues of Wood, Woodsmith, and a couple of stragglers from the other covers. I've thought about buying one of those back issue thumb drives, the ones that have the last 4,576 issues in one small place. I see Woodsmith, for example, offers theirs for $99. That might sound expensive, but having that is probably an improvement over my 3 drawer file cabinet. But can you print article and plans from them? I prefer to work from paper copies...that way I can note any dimension changes (or other stuff) I make as I build whatever it is. I then keep those notes just in case.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Don't know about Woodsmith but the Fine Woodworking DVD has printable PDF files. Guessing they would do the same thing.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
this is real tempting for my fww back issues.  Got rid of everything else a few years ago.  FWW seems to sell theirs for $80 most of the time
What I did was go though each magazine and cut out any article I wanted to keep. I then put them in folders according to type of product, etc.
Don
(01-02-2019, 02:08 PM)fredhargis Wrote: can maybe answer a question for me about them. I have a 3 drawer file cabinet with all my back issues of Wood, Woodsmith, and a couple of stragglers from the other covers. I've thought about buying one of those back issue thumb drives, the ones that have the last 4,576 issues in one small place. I see Woodsmith, for example, offers theirs for $99. That might sound expensive, but having that is probably an improvement over my 3 drawer file cabinet. But can you print article and plans from them? I prefer to work from paper copies...that way I can note any dimension changes (or other stuff) I make as I build whatever it is. I then keep those notes just in case.

If you are a current subscriber you can download your current issue as a PDF and save it.  I was a subscriber to the older Shopnotes, when they ended the publication.  They sent me access to the online archive as a sorry perk.  So I just go online login to my account and have access to all the issues.  I am thinking of doing it for the rest of them now.  JLC offers full access to its archives with a subscription, but the cost is increasing to a point I cannot afford it any more. Yes you can print them off as needed. Dan
(01-02-2019, 02:08 PM)fredhargis Wrote: can maybe answer a question for me about them. I have a 3 drawer file cabinet with all my back issues of Wood, Woodsmith, and a couple of stragglers from the other covers. I've thought about buying one of those back issue thumb drives, the ones that have the last 4,576 issues in one small place. I see Woodsmith, for example, offers theirs for $99. That might sound expensive, but having that is probably an improvement over my 3 drawer file cabinet. But can you print article and plans from them? I prefer to work from paper copies...that way I can note any dimension changes (or other stuff) I make as I build whatever it is. I then keep those notes just in case.
Fred - I have the older DVD vwersion with several hundred issues - it is a PDF format that is searchable and printable.  I assume the thimb drive version is the same

Rick
Rick

I have the FWW DVD from a few years ago. I transferred the whole content into the computer, so the DVD is not needed. Especially appreciated is the ability to do searches. Type in any author, or tool, or topic, and every related article in every issue is then shown. I still have to hunt through them looking for relavant material, but it’s a lot faster than thumbing through paper magazines. And, yes, an article or single page can be printed, color or b/w.
I have the Woodsmith thumb drive. Yes you can print the articles or pages as needed. I love being able to search to find what I need so easily. Full confession, I still have 25+ years of magazines on the shelf but I do love the convenience of being able to find what I need so quickly. Downside... the thumb drive does not get updated. Upside.... all the new stuff is electronically available online.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(01-02-2019, 07:36 PM)DFJarvie Wrote: What I did was go though each magazine and cut out any article I wanted to keep. I then put them in folders according to type of product, etc.
I did the same thing but mine are in a notebook in clear page thingies( technical name).
Finishing: I apply shellac before I apply varnish.
Routing:Hand Left to Right, Table right to left
Cutting plywood:Face up on the table saw
Face down w/circular saw.
Wear safety glasses when using power tools.