Hardwood flooring ideas
Hardwood flooring ideas

I need to install some in our office/bedroom.  We have a lot of nice natural wood in the house (homemade window door trim, baseboards, etc).  I want to use some leftover wood (white oak, oak, hickory) and want the room to look decorative.  This is the kind that will need to be sanded.  I just need some ideas.  I did a bedroom with a band of walnut, and cherry, I could do more of that but I will need to make it from scratch unless someone has a place that would ship smaller qauntities, like a bundle or two.

Any and all ideas appreciated.
Can I do a "bump" for myself? I guess there aren't any design ideas?
I don't know anyone who cuts their own flooring but searching brings up the species you mention in commercial wood. Unfinished is what you are after. Apparently, you want to install it also. You are talking professional-to-pro questions and maybe, there is another more specific subforum here to pose the questions..... I'd love to do my own floors, but I need new knees.

Bump all you want.....
If you want to make it special, try an inlay as an accent.  A friend of ours inlaid a compass Rose in the entry way using different woods.  It really was striking. He had served in Navy Aviation before he became a Pastor, and always admired the design, especially the more ornate ones like you would find on the ship's compass.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(01-02-2019, 08:13 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Hardwood flooring ideas

I need to install some in our office/bedroom.  We have a lot of nice natural wood in the house (homemade window door trim, baseboards, etc).  I want to use some leftover wood (white oak, oak, hickory) and want the room to look decorative.  This is the kind that will need to be sanded.  I just need some ideas.  I did a bedroom with a band of walnut, and cherry, I could do more of that but I will need to make it from scratch unless someone has a place that would ship smaller qauntities, like a bundle or two.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

I had a source to leftovers on flooring jobs . Some dark, light, different species, widths ...The whole smear. Free is the key word. Couple rentals that needed flooring. Went random on a couple floors. One living room I did a Santa Fe pattern. It turned out real well, with corresponding paint. Of course I don't have to live with it. It has not been refinished yet.
[Image: 102358_phpHF6OSu_medium.jpg]
or this... I did a perimeter design as well on the floor.
[Image: df15a3f7e3eefb49b5097c257cc8f5c3.jpg]

I can't find any pictures of it ...an hour away, and since sold on land contract.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Whatever design you come up with, remember to take into account what furniture will go into the room once finished. An inlay would be cool, but may end up being covered or partially obscured by a bed. The idea of an inlay works well in an entryway because the inlay resides in a traffic area that likely would not change no matter who owns the home. Perhaps a band around the perimeter, with some sort of corner accents might work well. This might be blasphomey, but how about painting a perimeter band after finishing the floor. That way the design may be recoverable (at least easier than removing wood banding) should you decide to sell later.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.