Pipe Cutter
I needed to cut a piece of 1" copper pipe to use as ferrules for some turning tools.

Not something I do very often so I purchased an inexpensive pipe cutter from my local hardware store. Brand is Superior, model 35275

I marked the pipe, made the scoring cut and started turning the pipe cutter as I gradually tightened it around the pipe. The cutter spiraled down the pipe as if it were cutting threads. I tried again, and again. Same result.

Looking on line I found a few comments that this is not uncommon with this tool.

Before grabbing my hacksaw I thought I would try to see what was wrong with this simple little tool. The rollers were very sloppy as the diameter of the axles was much smaller than the I.D. of the rollers.

To get the tool to track reasonably straight I replaced the roller axles with sections cut from a 13/64" drill bit after drilling out the recesses in the casting to 13/64".

I still have to pay attention when making the scoring cut but it is a major improvement from how it worked straight from the store.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

I've had several of these tubing cutters over the years and never had the issue you described. Perhaps you have a faulty tool. They're inexpensive. Try another one.
Had that problem once -- I think I got frustrated and really cranked down on it so the "scoring" roll was pretty deep and it cut it right.
Laugh
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
The pieces you are trying to cut are to short.
They need to extend beyond the rollers on the cutter. As you tighten it, the short piece shrinks, pulling the cutter toward it.

Ed
(01-02-2019, 09:16 PM)wjt Wrote: I needed to cut a piece of  1" copper pipe to use as ferrules for some turning tools.

Not something I do very often so I purchased an inexpensive pipe cutter from my local hardware store. Brand is Superior, model 35275

I marked the pipe, made the scoring cut and started turning the pipe cutter as I gradually tightened it around the pipe. The cutter spiraled down the pipe as if it were cutting threads. I tried again, and again. Same result.

Looking on line I found a few comments that this is not uncommon with this tool.

Before grabbing my hacksaw I thought I would try to see what was wrong with this simple little tool. The rollers were very sloppy as the diameter of the axles was much smaller than the I.D. of the rollers.

To get the tool to track reasonably straight I replaced the roller axles with sections cut from a 13/64" drill bit after drilling out the recesses in the casting to 13/64".

I still have to pay attention when making the scoring cut but it is a major improvement from how it worked straight from the store.

Bill
I have also had that problem. Seems to happen when I rotate the cutter in one direction, When I reverse it it works OK
Return it for another one that tracks right. It should not do this.

Imperial is a good brand.
Might be technique. After you tighten the tool on the pipe the first time don't go in complete circles. Go 180 degrees in one direction, stop, then go 180 degrees in the other direction. Retighten. Repeat this a few times until the groove is deep enough that the cutter will stay in it. Then go in complete circles.
(01-03-2019, 08:45 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Might be technique. After you tighten the tool on the pipe the first time don't go in complete circles. Go 180 degrees in one direction, stop, then go 180 degrees in the other direction. Retighten. Repeat this a few times until the groove is deep enough that the cutter will stay in it. Then go in complete circles.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this is the right way to use any pipe cutter
Yes
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I mostly use a small tubing cutter (not even full size) from Brasscraft, which is about as cheap as you can get, and I have never had the problem you describe.

I also go in full circles. I wasn't even aware that it wasn't recommended. 

The only time I've ever had anything approaching a problem was when I was trying to cut galvanized pipe to turn one long pipe into two for pipe clamps, but that was either a dull cutting wheel (likely, as it's never been replaced) or the fact that I was cutting galvanized pipe (probably not recommended).
Never had that problem. I've always bought good, name brand cutters. Pipe, brake tubing, copper, alum, whatever. Cut in one direction only.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020