PEX for compressed air?
(01-04-2019, 09:34 AM)daddo Wrote: For the life of me, I'll never understand why people shy away from copper. Easy to run and bend, safer and good for a lifetime. No guessing if it will fail.

That is what I used about 30 years ago, still working.   Of course they did not have pex back then.   I used refrigeration tubing and run high pressure to the garage and regulate it down out there. If using pex use the correct fitting system for the type of pex.   Pex A must use the expansion system and not the crimp system.   I think pex A cannot use the Shark Bite fittings either as the type of plastic will allow the Shark Bite to push it self off.    Seems like Rapid Air uses the pex-al-pex with compression type connections.  Roly
(01-04-2019, 10:48 AM)Roly Wrote: I used refrigeration tubing and run high pressure to the garage and regulate it down out there.

That's what I've done in the past.  You're going to regulate to a lower pressure anyway, so better to do it near the tool.  Allows same air flow in smaller hoses/lines, too, though nail guns don't really care.  But any continuous use tools certainly do. 

Similar to using a higher voltage in smaller conductors for a long run and transforming it down to some usable voltage nearer the load.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I'm asking out of ignorance...doesn't copper need to be brazed or silver soldered for compressed air?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The Rapid Air lines I use are plastic only and rated to 150lbs.
I have used pex A for several years with no problems. Rehau / Everloc fittings are heavy duty brass and need special tools to install. The nice thing about pex is it is very easy to cut and install a tee to add to the line. All my air lines are run in the crawl space under the shop so no problem with sun light making the pex stiff or brittle. I plan to run pex in my new shop.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(01-04-2019, 01:22 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm asking out of ignorance...doesn't copper need to be brazed or silver soldered for compressed air?

To be safe, yes.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I installed rigid copper air lines in my shop when I built it in 1992. Every connection was soldered just like you would install a regular water line, I've never had a single issue with it. I run an 80 gallon two stage compressor that maintains 175 psi, the lines are pressurized most all of the time. I do close the tank valve when I'm not using compressed air but the lines never really bleed down because nothing leaks.

Have hundreds of feet of soldered copper air lines in a large building at work that I've never known to have any issues with those lines either, I've worked there over 30 years. They are a little more mission critical as they operate pneumatic cylinders, valve actuators and other controls to operate a part of a production facility.
(01-03-2019, 06:35 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: BloomingtonMike, a member here, used the RapidAir I believe. See his shop build thread.

Yes. I used three+ of the 3/4" Maxline Rapid Air sets. Really like it. Have already added two ceiling runs too and that was easy to add as well.

I used their straightener. That made my long runs look perfect. Folks have made the straightener too from plumbing test fittings from Home Depot.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I’m going to get the Rapidair 1/2 set and give it a shot. I only use my compressor for nail guns and blowing dust so the 150 psi limit should be fine.
Don