How ro drill round holes in thin sheet metal
Thumbs Up 
Some WW projects require the use of thin metal, which can be a problem to drill accurately..Here's an interesting hack that may work work for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HOxfZKIZQk&t=77s
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-03-2019, 12:46 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: Some WW projects require the use of  thin metal, which can be a problem to drill accurately..Here's an interesting hack that may work work for you...

I just use a step bit and back up the metal with scrap wood and drill through both.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(01-03-2019, 12:46 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: Some WW projects require the use of  thin metal, which can be a problem to drill accurately..Here's an interesting hack that may work work for you...

Interesting. I sent that video link to my brother who said he was told about that when he was in Machinist school but his only experience with it was when his sleeve got caught. He said that didn't turn out all that great.
Big Grin
Why would the cloth make a difference there?
(01-03-2019, 03:01 PM)stav Wrote: Why would the cloth make a difference there?

The lubricated cloth probably dampens the chattering of the bit.     I also use the step bit for drilling holes in sheet metal.   Roly
(01-03-2019, 03:29 PM)Roly Wrote:  The lubricated cloth probably dampens the chattering of the bit.     I also use the step bit for drilling holes in sheet metal.   Roly

I use a step drill also, in places where "reach" is not a problem or if the one I have does not have the sized cutter I need..I think the lubrication provided by the patch of cloth works because it reduces the chatter as stated in a prior post..It is an interesting approach to the problem.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Interesting. I never would have thought of that. I also use step bits. Never had much luck with regular bits.
Eh.....when the word thin was used, I was thinking thin as in roof flashing material, which is way thinner than that bracket he was drilling.
Winkgrin
Apparently the cloth kept the bit from wobbling around?   Now if he had used a specialty *short* bit, made for that application, he could attain a better hole without the cloth.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It looked like the cloth cleared the swarf which could have been contributing to the out of round.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-03-2019, 07:43 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: It looked like the cloth cleared the swarf  which could have been contributing to the out of round.

That's another good point, Gary....I just thought the idea was pretty unique altho I haven't tried it....What I have done is to back off the rake angle a tad with a small stone...That can prevent "grabbing" on brass, plastics and thin metal but it dulls the bit for drilling soft steel...Works fairly well on harder steel with plenty of lube.

Get off my lawn !
Upset