New Project, just a desk...
Dovetails?  Just takes practice, is all....Cleared the bench..

Yep, needed every one of those clamps....and a few cauls...I trimmed the drawer shelf...still was a tad too long
Confused  

Maybe the drawer dividers will pull the bow out of it?  Cauls?

They put pressure on the board with the tails, and miss the pins...

Fun part was gluing in those pencil holders.....

Will let this mess sit overnight....and see how it looks, tomorrow....have a few other tasks to get done, too

Stay tuned...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-16-2019, 02:33 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I'll bet Bandit takes time off from posting, but I bet he's down in his shop puttering around, getting some alone & pondering time.

Yah! Just two posts with photo shoots......
Smirk At least Friday's will be covered.....
Crazy
(01-16-2019, 09:24 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Dovetails?  Just takes practice, is all....Cleared the bench..

Not so much the workmanship, which looks flawless....I just like the look of them. Layout, angles and such.
What I appreciate is the showing of everything in his projects, real projects to be used by the recipients, done with tools at hand, and without going out to buy the latest, greatest whiz-bang gizmo. All one at warp speed.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(01-17-2019, 05:56 AM)Tony Z Wrote: What I appreciate is the showing of everything in his projects, real projects to be used by the recipients, done with tools at hand, and without going out to buy the latest, greatest whiz-bang gizmo. All one at warp speed.

I had the privilege to meet Bandit in person this past summer at a get together spending the day with him. Besides all you just noted, he's just one heck of a nice guy too. Taught several of us how to drive a Stanley 45...not the Steamer version either.
Winkgrin Even on a "day off" he was working full on.

In my prayers tomorrow Bandit...BTDT just short of 2 years so know exactly where you're at. Take care.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Two hours of shop time today...shop will be closed on Friday...so...got out the router to mill a rebate...
Rolleyes 

Cleaned it up, then marked out and cut a piece of 1/4" plywood...nails and glue to install..

Wasn't all that worried about gaps around the edges....anyway, got the desk unit out of the clamps, without things falling apart
Rolleyes planed and sanded things smooth, and set it on the base...once it is in the right spot, it will cover those gaps..
Cool  

End view look any better? 

Pencil holders? 

Brought one plank to the shop...cut it in half...about 30" each...laid one as a top..

Hmmm
No  I don't think so....more waves than Indian Lake....tried the other half

Not too hateful?   Edges may need a bit of jointing..

We have ways..
Winkgrin  

Will come in handy later, if this edge is straight..

As this will be where the lid will be attached to....once I figure out the angle needed.  Then I can tilt the tablesaw blade....then clean up with  that #6c...
Have a wee bit more to post....stay tuned..
OK, that first blank that failed as a shelf...
Rolleyes  

Going to rip the good parts out, and use them as bread board stock....should be exciting to see...
Rolleyes 

Hauled the last 1 x 6 plank to the shop...same as before..two  30" pieces, after cutting out the big knot and some other stuff....flipped the boards around, until things seemed to line up, marked a big old "X" to show how they will go together....folded them up like a book.   Clamped to the side of the bench..
Cool  

Couple more tries after this, to get a square edge.....then the glue and clamp thing...
Cool 

Spread a bead of glue out, set the next board into the bead, moosh it back and forth until you feel the glue "stick",,, you can even let them just sit there, while you walk over with a clamp....then add a couple cauls to keep things flat.  Let this sit a while, no rush just yet. 

Laid out a couple items..

Need to find out the angles needed....scrap block is a lot easier to hold onto, than the full sized lid.   Will see how many tries it takes, to get the angle of the dangle right.  

To attach the desk to the table, I have to run screw up from underneath...that should be entertaining..
Winkgrin   Top shelf gets counter-bored screws to attach it. 

Might be Saturday at least, before I can get any more shop time...stay tuned
Winkgrin
Was looking around for ideas to use for the bread board edges....came across a show by Roy Underhill..."The Tool Chest from Bristol"   and it gave me a few ideas to try....might be a bit different than the sliding dovetail I usually use?      Whether to wedge the through tenons....or just glue them in?

Back into work clothes, tomorrow....lots of sawdust to make..
Winkgrin
Lots of cussing, today....
Upset  4 hours in the shop....not much to show for it...
No

Once I got the desk centered on the base, I traced all the way around it.  Set the desk aside, and drilled a few pilot holes...

Tried to clamp the desk back in place...wound up using a 3 x 3 block to help hold things in place..

Real fun was getting the entire mess up where I could work on it...
Uhoh 

Only to find out half the pilot  holes were blocked....had to carefully drill new ones...then set this back on the floor...only to find the poplar back of the pencil tray was cracked
Upset 

Cut a square off that 3 x 3, and glued it in place....Tablesaw got put to work.....that ugly 1 x 6 was ripped down into strips I could use for bread board ends..

Was going to use Roy Underhill's Through Tenon ends...Even got the tenons ready..

Problems came when the through mortises were started....part did the splits
Upset   Tossed it into the kindling pile, made a new one...without the through tenons...buzzzed the tenon down to about 3/8" tall...now a tongue & groove joint.   Top is sitting in the clamps..

Then a little bit later...lid followed along...
Winkgrin  

Let these sit a while....need to go back and figure out the meeting angles....and maybe start to figure out some drawers?  We'll see..
stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Late start today...and just 2 hours, anyway..of shop time....got the two sections of the lid out of the clamps....ends squared up.rest cleaned up...found a bit of scrap..

A few test cuts, to find the angles needed..top shelf was done first..
Winkgrin

And used it to double check the fit...
Cool 

I used the cuts on the scraps, to set the bevel of the tablesaw's blade...and try to set the fence..
Rolleyes 

But, for the lid's cut, I needed to clean up the wavy cut the bandsaw left..and then recheck the angle...about the third try...I had the fence set correct, too
Rolleyes 
Cleaned up saw marks, and drilled a few holes..

3/8" counter-bores, then a pilot hole...then a few screws...then start adding some hinges..

With the usual toys.  Finally got all them tiny screws installed...

Then sanded and planed a "book Rest" and glued it in place...with a few c clamps
Cool 

A view from the end? 

Maybe next time, I can start on a few drawers? 
Stay tuned..
Winkgrin