Another coffee table
Beautiful work, Derek.  A lifetime of learning and skill distilled into an excellent build along.  Thanks very much.  

I have a client who has a piece very similar to that. Not nearly as well made, however.

John

Cool  project.

I always observed the older furniture (the tenons to legs), the tenon ends were curved/angled to match the rounded legs, instead of flattening the leg.
Is there any advantage  in doing it your way? Quicker....etc?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-08-2019, 02:14 PM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Cool  project.

I always observed the older furniture (the tenons to legs), the tenon ends were curved/angled to match the rounded legs, instead of flattening the leg.
Is there any advantage  in doing it your way? Quicker....etc?

It depends on the thickness/diameter of the leg. With thick stock, as here, it is advantageous to flatten the face of the mortice as this is easier.

With thin legs, as with this chair, I coped the tenon to match the mortice ...

[Image: TheChairCoping_html_35515e88.jpg]

[Image: TheChairCoping_html_m51e1fa3c.jpg]

[Image: TheChairCoping_html_2df53f1e.jpg]

[Image: WeavingSeatCompletingTheChair_html_2ebf780e.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(01-08-2019, 08:10 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: It depends on the thickness/diameter of the leg. With thick stock, as here, it is advantageous to flatten the face of the mortice as this is easier.

With thin legs, as with this chair, I coped the tenon to match the mortice ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ok thanks. Just wondering there. I usually always angle the tenon to match the leg, just the way I was taught. Makes a better fit, hides the joint somewhat. I don't remember ever seeing a leg flattened that way.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Amazing work as always Derek.
(01-09-2019, 07:20 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Ok thanks. Just wondering there. I usually always angle the tenon to match the leg, just the way I was taught. Makes a better fit, hides the joint somewhat. I don't remember ever seeing a leg flattened that way.

The legs in these examples are round. The shoulders of a tenon are square. Square peg into a round ... well, not hole, but you get the drift.
Smile

Angling the tenon is a given. It is what you do with the shoulders.

Here is a link to an article by Garrett Hack, but his tapered legs are square:  https://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnpdffr...-table.pdf

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Exemplary work, Derek!
[Image: giphy.gif]
(01-10-2019, 12:07 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The legs in these examples are round. The shoulders of a tenon are square. Square peg into a round ... well, not hole, but you get the drift.
Smile

Angling the tenon is a given. It is what you do with the shoulders.

Here is a link to an article by Garrett Hack, but his tapered legs are square:  https://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnpdffr...-table.pdf

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yes
Yes
Yes
I should have said angling the shoulder.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I haven't stopped by here in a long time. Nice to see such beautiful work with so much detail provided.

Thanks
See ya later,
Bill
(01-10-2019, 10:55 PM)Bill_de Wrote: I haven't stopped by here in a long time. Nice to see such beautiful work with so much detail provided.

Thanks

+1
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020