Gluing Lignum Vitae
Has anyone had a successful experience of gluing Lignum Vitae?

I've read a lot of the internet wisdom that is out there and some of it is conflicting.

So I'm curious if anyone has actually tried it and had it work.

What adhesive did you use?
What, if any, surface prep did you try?

Thanks,
Peter

My "day job"
(01-04-2019, 12:47 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Has anyone had a successful experience of gluing Lignum Vitae?

I've read a lot of the internet wisdom that is out there and some of it is conflicting.

So I'm curious if anyone has actually tried it and had it work.

What adhesive did you use?
What, if any, surface prep did you try?

Thanks,

I never read nor have I done any gluing with it.  Maybe wipe it down with DNA or Acetone and use Gorilla glue?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-04-2019, 01:56 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I never read nor have I done any gluing with it.  Maybe wipe it down with DNA or Acetone and use Gorilla glue?

I've heard that as one technique.

Then there is the "rough up the surface with 100 grit cross grain sanding and glue with epoxy" technique.

There's a lot of people who talk about how to do it but I have not found anyone who has tried it.

I guess I'll need to do a few tests.
Peter

My "day job"
I would *think* roughing then cleaning with lacquer thinner or acetone as Arlin suggested would work, though I've never tried it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

There are boat building epoxies made for oily woods, they might work.  -Howard
Pete,  I have done it.  When I researched it, some sites suggested wiping down with solvents, but IIRC, I vaguely recall a site where someone did some A to B tests, and found that the wipe down was not helpful.  The suggested procedure was to glue it using freshly planed surfaces.   That is what I did and it worked fine.
(01-04-2019, 09:41 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Pete,  I have done it.  When I researched it, some sites suggested wiping down with solvents, but IIRC, I vaguely recall a site where someone did some A to B tests, and found that the wipe down was not helpful.  The suggested procedure was to glue it using freshly planed surfaces.   That is what I did and it worked fine.

Thanks,

What adhesive did you use?
Peter

My "day job"
You will find mechanical connections more reliable. I have relied on screwed and glued attachment but use the wood for small bearing surfaces so there is little area for 'glue grab'. 

Of the various 'named' incarnations I have seen and played with, the volume of oils is sporadic. From none to weeping; so too, fragrance. I use freshly cut (RAS) wood for gluing. Likewise, when wiping the wood down with a solvent it should be on the dry side so you aren't drawing more oil out of the wood.

Ed. I used Titebond II, but the intent was for temporary attachment until screwed.
There was a test done on glueing several different oily woods in Fine Woodworking some time ago (10 years?). I'm not sure lignum vitae was included, but I think it was.

Their main conclusion was that a fresh surface (sanded or planed) was very important to glue bond, while washing off oil with solvent only helped some glues a little bit.

While many types of glue including titebond worked ok for many things, one that worked very well in all cases was epoxy.
(01-05-2019, 10:57 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Thanks,

What adhesive did you use?

Come on now Pete,  I searched the farthest recess of my brain to recall that they said sand or planing was best, and now you want me to recall what adhesive I used ???   Actually,  based on Alan's post, my guess is that I had reviewed the FWW article.  Sorry, I have no idea of what glue I used,  it could have been epoxy, or Titebond, or even hide glue.   My memory does not go back that far.