Gluing Lignum Vitae
(01-06-2019, 08:32 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Come on now Pete,  I searched the farthest recess of my brain to recall that they said sand or planing was best, and now you want me to recall what adhesive I used ???   Actually,  based on Alan's post, my guess is that I had reviewed the FWW article.  Sorry, I have no idea of what glue I used,  it could have been epoxy, or Titebond, or even hide glue.   My memory does not go back that far.

Laugh

No worries!
Peter

My "day job"
WEST System epoxy is what I use for all wood-to-wood gluing. On oily wood (teak) I wipe down with acetone or denatured alcohol just prior to gluing.
Wood is good. 
I do a lot of teak stuff, and I have glued LV as well. Someone told me not to use thinner to clean as it will leave a film. (no idea). So I use 100 grit sandpaper, blow off the surface and clean with alcohol. The joints have got to be spot on to begin with - no gaps. Also need even clamping pressure. I have use TB III on both of these materials and have no failures. Epoxy will work as well depending on what you are fabricating. The epoxies made for knife scales work fine, and I have some specially formulated stuff that is used in making golf club heads.
(01-04-2019, 12:47 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Has anyone had a successful experience of gluing Lignum Vitae?

I've read a lot of the internet wisdom that is out there and some of it is conflicting.

So I'm curious if anyone has actually tried it and had it work.

What adhesive did you use?
What, if any, surface prep did you try?

Thanks,
I would use West Marine Epoxy...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-11-2019, 08:44 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .....................
I would use West Marine Epoxy...

Thanks, Jack

So I decided that since I had the pieces which are wide enough, that I'd "carve" the shape of a rear infill/tote out of a solid block rather than trying to do a glue-up.

I hate working with Lignum Vitae!  It is miserable and the grain just isn't that pretty.

Oh well, live and learn.

I'm probably going to need to get some carbide router bits sharpened after this project.
Peter

My "day job"
Here is the progress so far.

So I've got to mill the tote section down about .5" on either side, mill the infill 'wings' to match the curve of the brass, shape the tote, and sand everything to 1,000 or 2,000 grit.

The front infill should be a lot easier.
Peter

My "day job"
Lookin good Pete.
Cool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-18-2019, 05:35 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Lookin good Pete.
Cool

Thanks,

I routed the back of the tote to a rough shape.

Got everything squared and trued yesterday.

Milled the slots for the adjusters in two of the planes.

Next I need to finish a router template, then route,  to reduce the tote width by about 1/2" on either side while maintain the "wing" to fit the brass side and profile.

This is what I mean.  

This is a mock up that I did out of poplar.

More pics will follow.

I should get a lot of time in my shop tomorrow.
Peter

My "day job"