Recommend a Small Compressor Please.
I had a Porter Cable pancake compressor that I hated because of the noise it made when running, so I purchased a small unit based on a recommendation in Popular Woodworking. Big mistake as it doesn't have enough oomph to shoot more than four 1 1/4" brads at a time.

Can you recommend a compressor that has approximately the same capacity as that of a PC Pancake but has much less noise as I'll be using this in a garage shop?

Thanks,

r
(01-04-2019, 04:52 PM)lilrichard2 Wrote: I had a Porter Cable pancake compressor that I hated because of the noise it made when running, so I purchased a small unit based on a recommendation in Popular Woodworking. Big mistake as it doesn't have enough oomph to shoot more than four 1 1/4" brads at a time.

Can you recommend a compressor that has approximately the same capacity as that of a PC Pancake but has much less noise as I'll be using this in a garage shop?

Thanks,

r

I recently brought home a Makita MAC5200 to replace a small Senco when it died.  It's perfect for the garage shop, but probably not something I'd want to bring up a set of stairs on a regular basis.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
I suggest picking the California Air Tools compressor that meets your volume needs.  They are hard to beat for the money and produce very little noise.
I picked up a small California Air from Home Depot that was a special buy and really like it.
I had a Sears pancake style for better than 20 years. Quiet, plenty of air, but it finally gave up the ghost. I bought a Makita MAC700, based on Amazon and woodworking reviews. It isn't half the compressor of my old Sears-loud and lower capacity. I'm glad I don't need it that often, otherwise I would be replacing it.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have a California air and really appreciate how quiet it runs. I see that Harbor Freight is selling the same style of compressor now too. I don't know the quality of it though.
shifty
Which California Air units are you guys liking?

They have a contractor series and an Industrial series.  The Industrial series seems to have the same low 60-db but slightly more CFM with faster fill rates.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/California-A...602927-_-N
This is what I have. It works great for air nailers. It runs very quiet and is what I use in the shop most of the time. I wouldn't expect it to run impact wrenches or other air tools though. I've got a 60 gallon that use for that.
shifty
(01-06-2019, 10:35 AM)shifty Wrote: https://www.homedepot.com/p/California-A...602927-_-N
This is what I have. It works great for air nailers. It runs very quiet and is what I use in the shop most of the time. I wouldn't expect it to run impact wrenches or other air tools though. I've got a 60 gallon that use for that.

I have a 1 1/2hp belt driven Emglo nail gun compressor...Motor does not turn off, the valves in the compressor open instead, when desired pressure is reached..very quiet. When air is needed, valves close and off we go to the races. Motor does not have to start under load.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-06-2019, 10:05 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Which California Air units are you guys liking?

They have a contractor series and an Industrial series.  The Industrial series seems to have the same low 60-db but slightly more CFM with faster fill rates.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/California-Ai.../258922094

The price swings $50 from Walmart.  Watched the price for a couple of months and last month about black Friday week time frame I couldn't resist at $99, shipped + tax.  Saw $119 a couple of times.  $129 was common.  $140 now.