filter setup for cyclone
I was going to do something different, but now I realize I should just bite the bullet and buy filters for my Oneida cyclone from a place like Wynn. It's the original 2hp with the ill-advised internal filter which is undersized and always clogged. The one thing Wynn does that is a bit annoying is the cleanout, $150 for a short section of filter with a piece of sheet metal on the bottom is not going to happen. I would grumble if I had to spend $50 on a pan, but I would probably do it.  They show a customer setup with HD buckets as a cleanout, but no details.

Should I look at other vendors?  How do you do the cleanout on your filters?

(01-05-2019, 09:02 AM)EricU Wrote: I was going to do something different, but now I realize I should just bite the bullet and buy filters for my Oneida cyclone from a place like Wynn. It's the original 2hp with the ill-advised internal filter which is undersized and always clogged. The one thing Wynn does that is a bit annoying is the cleanout, $150 for a short section of filter with a piece of sheet metal on the bottom is not going to happen. I would grumble if I had to spend $50 on a pan, but I would probably do it.  They show a customer setup with HD buckets as a cleanout, but no details.

Should I look at other vendors?  How do you do the cleanout on your filters?

Yes you should. Here's what I did for my 2 HP Oneida when I had it (since replaced and sold). Go to Penn State Industries and check this filter out. This is the one I replaced my OEM filter with and it's fantastic. USA made (Clark Filters), more media than the OEM, merv 15 (I think Oneida is now merv 16), much more robust construction, and a lot less expensive. You might even see a 10% discount when you visit. It's plug and play on your Oneida (at least it was on my older model). it's a little shorter and a little wider, here's a pic of what it looked like on mine. You can see the can is a little smaller, but the hooks still held it on just fine. The threaded rod was a little too long, but there was still room for it in the can. Can't recommend it enough.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Or forget the filter and blow the exhaust outside.  That's what I did when I redid my DC system and have no regrets, and I live where it's colder than you in the Winter.  All you need is an open window for makeup air.  If you have heat in your shop this is a very workable approach.  And you will never lose performance as the filter clogs, or have to clean/replace the filter, and the air quality will be better than any filter.    

John
John,
No windows in a concrete block basement.  I thought about doing surgery to one of the doors, but I think for now I'm going to go with a filter. Bill Pence talks about the superiority of blowing the dust outside, no doubt it's true.

Fred, I think you might have grabbed the wrong link.  I assume it's this one since you left a review: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CYFN36.html

My cyclone has the internal filter, and all it has on the outlet is a muffler.  I guess they were afraid to blow dust through the impeller like every other cyclone manufacturer in the world does. Doesn't look like Penn State offers any clips, but I guess I can make them.
I'm  not sure what you can do with the internal filter model. I think they quit offering the conversion kits to an external filter, but I hope you come up with something. Your link is the correct one, it's on the page I linked but you have to page down...sorry about that, I thought I had the link you found.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
another forum member sent me pics of his conversion, it's pretty simple.  Have to make a plenum for the outlet and put a piece of pipe in the place of the filter.  Also, the air goes the wrong way for the impeller, so it needs to be slowed down with some vanes inside the new pipe. I'll have to make or adapt some kind of catch pan for under the filter. I'm sure I can make clips or get something from McMaster. I might have some clips that would work, have to look.

Thanks for letting me know that filter will work. I remember the Penn State Ind always has a 10 percent code for first orders, but I don't see anything about that
That 10% code showed up when I first tried to link it, you might wait a week or 2 and try again, go to the PSI main page first.
well, I turned off all my blockers for that site and got a 10% code.  Thanks Fred

on edit: they said they would email a code and haven't yet. I'll ask if it never shows up

on second edit: code showed up, ordered. Thanks again Fred.
(01-05-2019, 09:02 AM)EricU Wrote: They show a customer setup with HD buckets as a cleanout, but no details.

This response may be too late, but I think you are referring to the Gamma Seal Lids.  There is a section for that on Wynn's website.  I used that on my Wynn filter, and it works great.  Very inexpensive and easy.
Steve
thanks, that's a good idea, ordered a lid from Amazon