Cutting big slab
Hey all,

I should be getting my grandpa's desk (from his estate) in about a month, which I plan on turning into a dining room table. It's a beautiful bookmatched live-edge slab of walnut, roughly 11' x 3'-4' x 3". The base is hideous and poorly done, so I'll redo that. The slab has always been warped/twisted and the glue line wasn't well done (1/8" in some spots). I plan to separate the halves, flatten each side, clean up the glue edges, put it back together, and build a new base.

Now the question is how to move it. At that size, it should be 300+ pounds. That's not a problem when I pick it up, but it's too much for me (and my wife) to handle once it's home, especially since it'll live in the basement for a while before I move it to the shop to work on.

My thought is to cut down the glue line before I load it and bring it home. Given the size, live edge, and warp, a table saw isn't an option in my opinion. And a standard circular saw can't cut through that thickness. What would be a good way to cut down the length on a slab this size? Remember, the cut is through 3"+ of thickness. And I'd like to minimize the kerf, if possible. The best I've thought of is a hand-held jigsaw against a straight edge, if I can get one with a blade that's long enough.

Thanks,
Tyler
(01-05-2019, 03:12 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey all,

I should be getting my grandpa's desk (from his estate) in about a month, which I plan on turning into a dining room table.  It's a beautiful bookmatched live-edge slab of walnut, roughly 11' x 3'-4' x 3".  The base is hideous and poorly done, so I'll redo that.  The slab has always been warped/twisted and the glue line wasn't well done (1/8" in some spots).  I plan to separate the halves, flatten each side, clean up the glue edges, put it back together, and build a new base.

Now the question is how to move it.  At that size, it should be 300+ pounds.  That's not a problem when I pick it up, but it's too much for me (and my wife) to handle once it's home, especially since it'll live in the basement for a while before I move it to the shop to work on.

My thought is to cut down the glue line before I load it and bring it home.  Given the size, live edge, and warp, a table saw isn't an option in my opinion.  And a standard circular saw can't cut through that thickness.  What would be a good way to cut down the length on a slab this size?  Remember, the cut is through 3"+ of thickness.  And I'd like to minimize the kerf, if possible.  The best I've thought of is a hand-held jigsaw against a straight edge, if I can get one with a blade that's long enough.

Thanks,
Tyler

Rent a saw from HD
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I'd use a circular saw with straight-edge guide cutting it's max depth, then a jigsaw with a long blade to cut what's left.

Depending on how deep your saw can cut you might even be able to finish the cut with a hand saw.
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
A jigsaw would be one of the worst tools to use as it will wander considerably, vertically.

Use a large circular saw and straightedge.
Wood is good. 
Two options:

Borrow or rent a chain saw.
Japanese kataba saw or hand saw (will take awhile).  Just snap a line and go for it.  You can get a hand saw relatively cheap from a big box store, and they cut pretty quick (quicker than any of my vintage hand saws).

You can move the two parts relatively easy with a hand truck or furniture dolly.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Renting a Bigfoot Circular saw is the easiest if you can't borrow one or justify buying one.  I have a 16.5" Makita that cuts 6x6 fence posts like they are 2x material but most will never need that type saw

Edit to add if you live in an area with a decent Craigslist you might consider buying a saw large enough for the task and reselling when done
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Yes. Get a big saw. Rent or buy and resell. If you cut it right and get both sides the whole way you’ll be able to glue it back together easily with a nice glue line. Then flatten the top only with a router sled. Your joint will be perfect.
Makita makes a 16-5/16 circular saw. Perhaps a rental center has one to rent out? Otherwise they are about 800 new or can be found used for less.
I like the idea of renting, borrowing or stealing a large circular saw best. One cut - all done.

If you don't have access to a larger circular saw use your circular saw and cut to the maximum depth using a straight edge. Then flip the table top and, using a straight edge make the second cut at a depth to meet the first cut.

Yeah, it'll take a little more time and messing around but should get the job done.
Milwaukee makes a 10 1/4" circ saw that will cut it......

Ed