Curved top box build
  Re: Really? by Aram (Last weekend was a b...)
(02-07-2019, 02:01 AM)Aram Wrote: I don't think I can repair the missing chunk. Not respectably, anyway. ...

Maybe it's not so bad. I'll hang onto this box. Maybe I'll try coopering a lid for it someday and use it in the shop.

Very nice project. Lovely pear wood.

I like the music commentary, too. 

As for the missing chunk, it's completely in the end grain, from what I can see, and the board there doesn't have obvious grain. Can you chisel the pin end to make the hole into a trapezoid or rhombus and shape a piece of scrap from the same board to fit? I bet it would almost completely disappear.
  Re: RE: Really? by Brent V. ([quote='Aram' pid='7...)
(02-08-2019, 02:57 AM)Brent V. Wrote: Very nice project. Lovely pear wood.

I like the music commentary, too. 

As for the missing chunk, it's completely in the end grain, from what I can see, and the board there doesn't have obvious grain. Can you chisel the pin end to make the hole into a trapezoid or rhombus and shape a piece of scrap from the same board to fit? I bet it would almost completely disappear.

Thanks.

I considered that for sure. I might try -- what do I have to lose? I've done other repairs and sometimes have even made them seamless. Experience says I'm not good at this kind of repair, though. We'll see.
Best,
Aram, defying laws of geometry

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: http://awacs.smugmug.com/Woodworking
  Re: Curved top box build by Aram (I'm working on a cha...)
I would repair that boo boo. I do similar more often than I care to share. Saw and plane a flat, glue in a replacement, shape it to fit, voila'.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
  Re: RE: Curved top box build by TomFromStLouis (I would repair that ...)
(02-08-2019, 02:29 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: I would repair that boo boo. I do similar more often than I care to share. Saw and plane a flat, glue in a replacement, shape it to fit, voila'.

I would do the same.

As soon as I saw that it was endgrain and not long grain my first thought was, "That's an easy fix"

Seriously that is a beautiful box.  I'd fix it.

With end grain the repair will have a strong long-grain glue joint and the endgrain won't show the repair.
Peter

My "day job"
  Re: Curved top box build by Aram (I'm working on a cha...)
You’re drawing blood—must be doing something right.
The box is looking good overall.
Gary

Liberty, Self-Reliance, Self-Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
ServicePen 2014
  Re: RE: Curved top box build by Gary G™ (You’re drawing blood...)
(02-09-2019, 10:01 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: You’re drawing blood—must be doing something right.

Laugh Truth!
Best,
Aram, defying laws of geometry

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: http://awacs.smugmug.com/Woodworking