Curved top box build
(06-23-2019, 03:43 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: It looks great.

How to you like those small Bessey F clamps??

Also in the middle of them there is a plastic black block looking thing that has Bessey on it as well but what is it??

Those Bessey clamps are fantastic!

I used a pair of Bessey strap clamps to pull the front and rear tight. The things sticking up are the handles.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
The last disc of the Can You Dig It set. Tried to listen to Wilco, Being There, but a disc wouldn't play. Switched over to Steve Miller, Fly Like and Eagle and Book of Dreams.

I finally repaired the broken tail.

[Image: i-Ks39NH5-M.jpg]

Marked the locations of the outsides of the hinges. Stabbed the top and bottom simultaneously, hopefully increasing my chances that they will line up when I am done.

[Image: i-GdDjrHK-M.jpg]

I marked the hinge mortises the usual way (I think), with a double square, using the actual hinge to set the width. Cut the mortises with chisels.

[Image: i-HrRKGHm-M.jpg]

I've messed up in the past, but these came out well today.

[Image: i-2Q445CV-M.jpg]

Same routine for the lid, except I started with chisels and finished with a router plane. Looking OK.

[Image: i-6cvhXmm-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The repair looks great.  And nice job on fitting the hinges.  It always feels so good to press the hinge into the mortis and the hinge stays.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Getting to the end. Drilled pilot holes for the hinge screws and got a decent fit. I spent a lot of yesterday playing with lid handle designs. Today I made and installed the handle, plus a little more.

The first album I ever spent my own money on was Steve Miller Band Book of Dreams. Jet Airliner was the song that got me hooked. I still listen to that album a lot. But I only learned last week that it's not his song -- it was written by a little-known guy named Paul Pena. I bought a Pena CD called New Train and gave it a shot. It's very good! With my Wilco CDs being scratched up and not playing, I popped for the 5-CD deluxe Being There set, listened to that too, including two very good concerts with horrible sound quality. Today it was a collection of Atlantic R&B singles.

Marked parallel lines to define a finger recess on the bottom of the lid handle. Note that I have already routed a slot for the loose tenon (a tiny little thing to help align it). Not shown, but I also routed a similar slot on the front edge of the lid.

[Image: i-Xr2zNXj-M.jpg]

Carved the recess. 

[Image: i-MRsTrLn-M.jpg]

Shaped, smoothed, and glued. A simple shape seems to work best here.

[Image: i-39BQ57q-M.jpg]

I'm going to put a second, smaller box inside this. I glued ledges onto each end. The interior box will sit on the ledges.

[Image: i-87DbCjB-M.jpg]

Started putting finish on the lid.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Love the handle.  Looking forward to seeing more!!!
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I built the box within the box and listened to GnR. I bought Use Your Illusion I and II when they came out, and sold them after a couple listens. I bought them again recently and gave them another chance. Slammin'. I was wrong the first time, but I repented. Listened to both volumes as I built that inside box.

Before I put up the final pics, here's a quick how did I do? Someone pointed out that in wood this fine, the joinery needs to be dead on. 

3 out of 4 slip joints have a decently tight seem between rails and stiles. 

[Image: i-np6tRRJ-M.jpg]

One does not. I guess I was sloppy with the chisel work.

[Image: i-FvXTdgK-M.jpg]

The inside joints are fairly tight, but I managed to round over the ends of the curved pieces just a little. That gives a slightly gappy look (very slightly) but really, it's just that the rail and stile don't meet at the same plane. 

[Image: i-NQD45Sk-M.jpg]

Joints pulled up reasonably tight as viewed from front and rear.

[Image: i-jGFTkT3-M.jpg]

No perfect but reasonably decent from the side.

[Image: i-JMD6542-M.jpg]

Did I just say "reasonably decent?" Like, kind of ok? That means I'm not beating myself up about it and for a hand crafted piece, I'm not displeased with my performance.

Finish is orange shellac, mixed up from flakes and rubbed in with steel wool. Outside surfaces, as will as the outside of the interior box (pics to come) got Renaissance wax, buffed lightly with blue paper towels and steel wool. I put on Sailin' Shoes and Dixie Chicken, two great ones from my all-time favorite band, Little Feat.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Some final photos. 

[Image: i-t2VLLH7-M.jpg]

[Image: i-hZbs2ds-M.jpg]

[Image: i-s2z3J3F-M.jpg]

[Image: i-4qPjgZJ-M.jpg]

[Image: i-5gnqRrF-M.jpg]

[Image: i-t6c2qXG-M.jpg]

[Image: i-B4mQxW3-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

I am impressed. With the final result, with the aesthetic choices you made, with the diligent effort given to achieve challenging joinery in an exacting wood, even with your build along documentation. Our musical tastes differ - I threw in the towel on rock some time ago - but I do appreciate that tunes and bench work go together so well. Orange shellac is an excellent choice for pear!

Bravo all around.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(07-06-2019, 05:43 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: I am impressed. With the final result, with the aesthetic choices you made, with the diligent effort given to achieve challenging joinery in an exacting wood, even with your build along documentation. Our musical tastes differ - I threw in the towel on rock some time ago - but I do appreciate that tunes and bench work go together so well. Orange shellac is an excellent choice for pear!

Bravo all around.
Thank you very much.

I threw on some Mingus afterwards. Does that help?
Best,
Aram, always learning

I really like what Tom said: I am impressed. With the final result, with the aesthetic choices you made, with the diligent effort given to achieve challenging joinery in an exacting wood, even with your build along documentation.

Aram, I have learned a lot from your build.  As much as I have enjoyed the build I am saddened that is FINISHED.

Thank you for including us.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood