Curved top box build
(06-09-2019, 08:30 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Amazing build!  Amazing hand work. Amazing patience!  Who will be receiving the box?

Oh my, thank you. I don't know. I might keep this one.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I think you should keep it.  Cannot imagine anyone, other than a woodworker, fully appreciating the craftsmanship required to build such an awesome piece.

You are going to paint it black with a 4" paint brush, aren't you?  That thought gives me chills.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
It looks wonderful.

Again another question 
Laugh
Laugh

I understand why you scribed the edge but why did you use the router plane first instead of the shoulder plane??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-11-2019, 10:33 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: It looks wonderful.

Again another question 
Laugh
Laugh

I understand why you scribed the edge but why did you use the router plane first instead of the shoulder plane??

Mistake. Should have done the sides first, then the edges. Cuts down on spelching. Worked out ok though.

[EDIT] Did you mean on the ends? Why did I start with the router? For me, it gives better control. I would have jumped the tracks with the shoulder plane.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sweet build! I gave up on doing a crowned chest top for the same reasons you did one. Very impressive! 

Save it, then bequeath it to a favorite relative. They don't need to know the history--something that can fade over the years anyway--they will understand the quality and effort put into its construction. You can help by signing and dating, then noting recipient with date in a permanent etch on the piece. But sometimes there is no honor in a recipient and someone else will love it instead.

I have relatives who match dead people stuff (bygone relatives) with crappy Wally World junk. Their public rooms fit a magazine decorum; and are cute junk. The bedrooms are dressed in antiques. BTW, I thought my wife and I had hoarding problems. Those guys have a storage room bigger than our double-car garage.....  Stuffed.
(06-11-2019, 12:24 PM)Aram Wrote: Mistake. Should have done the sides first, then the edges. Cuts down on spelching. Worked out ok though.

[EDIT] Did you mean on the ends? Why did I start with the router? For me, it gives better control. I would have jumped the tracks with the shoulder plane.

I have a lot to learn.  I am soooooo shocked at saying that.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

I did a little more this weekend, but not much to show. Listened to Oasis, What's The Story Morning Glory and more of the Can You Dig It set. Made the end rabbets a little wider so they are less mismatched with the sides. Mostly I have been sweating the glue up. I still am. I came up with this for clamping the slip joints.

Pictures are better than words. There is 150 grit sandpaper between the clamping blocks and the frame, so they don't slide around when I clamp them.

[Image: i-2sGxPSS-M.jpg]

Good start, but I needed a way to put pressure on the inside, where the big gap is. So I made these things. They are slightly wedged from to back so I can tap them in like a doorstop.

[Image: i-d5QbxZf-M.jpg]

I also smoothed the panel with card scrapers and sandpaper, and started putting finish on it.

That's it for now.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Looks good.  Looking forward to seeing more buddy.
Yes
Yes

Glue up. Fear.

[Image: i-hd34GMv-M.jpg]

End result is ok but not great. 3 out of 4 joints are as tight as I could hope by hand, but the 4th is off. Also one of the tenons got a chip at the outside edge, not sure what happened but there's obviously a gap there. That said, everything pulled up tight and square, with no slippage. So my worst fear was not realized.

Planed the ends to fit.

[Image: i-kwfQzQG-M.jpg]

Rounded bottom edges with a file, to match the radius of the rabbets on the box sides.

[Image: i-pkpnRpX-M.jpg]

I want the edges of the frame straight up and down. As glued, they are at an angle. I did the hinge side only today. Marked the end square...

[Image: i-6w4RrJ6-M.jpg]

and marked along the length.

[Image: i-m4MHpbw-M.jpg]

Planed to the lines.

[Image: i-hBwSkcR-M.jpg]

I'm calling it a day. Not perfect, much I could improve on, but it is satisfying to see the top fitted to the box.

[Image: i-2GpSQ2j-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

It looks great.

How to you like those small Bessey F clamps??

Also in the middle of them there is a plastic black block looking thing that has Bessey on it as well but what is it??