Schtoo's moving on
Stu has just made a new post on his blog since the passing of his mother here:

Stu's news
Those who do business with his store need to read this.... sad to see him go, maybe he will have time for us again????

It seems that everyone who has been successful starting a tool business here has been starved for time to fill the orders... and in his case, evidently something about the Japanese tool business is changing fundamentally.

Personally, I miss him already..... he was, and is, a very good guy....
Skip

Stu Ablett? ............
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

That's a tough post to read. My best hopes and wishes for Stu and his family. I am glad to have had him as an adviser and source of supply. It will be very hard to trust purchase of Japanese chisels now.
(01-08-2019, 04:29 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Stu Ablett? ............

Don't think so.

Ed

Sorry, it's been nearly 10 years since Stu was active here....

"About me.

Hi, my name is Stuart Tierney, also known as ‘Schtoo’ on a few woodworking forums."
Skip

(01-08-2019, 05:48 PM)hbmcc Wrote: That's a tough post to read. My best hopes and wishes for Stu and his family. I am glad to have had him as an adviser and source of supply. It will be very hard to trust purchase of Japanese chisels now.
Hello Bruce;

Glad that it communicated his issues to you...  Sounds like you still have not let the "Japanese chisels" thing go..... I guess things have still not changed much in that regard, and you are correct, Stu did navigate those tricky waters for us at a great deal of effort on his part.....

I'm not sure that access to quality Chinese tools has improved any in the interim either....
Skip

Stu Tierney. Formerly Schtoo on Woodnet. Great source of Japanese tool knowledge and trusted vendor (until now) of select Japanese woodworking tools. Overall a great guy too, cranky from time to time, generally very helpful. I bought chisels from him, one of the better decisions I ever made. We ran Secret Santa together years back, so I got to know him a bit.

I hope the changes lift his spirits.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(01-09-2019, 10:25 AM)Skip J. Wrote: Sorry, it's been nearly 10 years since Stu was active here....

"About me.

Hi, my name is Stuart Tierney, also known as ‘Schtoo’ on a few woodworking forums."

I do not think it was that long since I asked him for advise.  Something like 4 or 5 years ago of which I copy and pasted in a word doc and just checked the doc date was 2013.

It is to bad to hear of people who did not trust him and I KNOW how much his advise and friendship meant to me and others here.

Can he be contacted and see if he can at least come here and talk tools. 
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
awww
Sad . I just picked up a fantastic set of stones from him not even 10 months back (Absolutely Love them also!!)

As others have mentioned, great guy, knew his stuff well, sad to hear about the direction he feels he must go but I absolutely understand and respect the choice.

Hopefully he finds some balance and peace in time and chooses to come back and converse, if only as a peer vs. a vendor. Smart guy, witty too
Smile

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem