A close call -- but he had done (some) homework.
https://twitter.com/tjconnorstweets/stat...7034179584

Have you done yours when you wood work?

Simon
Where did the plastic go that the cutoff blade pushed out of the eyeware?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-08-2019, 03:39 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: https://twitter.com/tjconnorstweets/stat...7034179584

Have you done yours when you wood work?

Simon

I love my full face mask.

I wear that over my prescription glasses.  I like to think that I've got more than one layer of protection.

And I do wear the face mask.
Peter

My "day job"
I wear cheap  safety glasses (poly carbonate) for everything except sanding and assembly.  I keep misplacing them, so I have about 10 pairs about my shop.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Holy cow! Freaky and frightening.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(01-08-2019, 04:27 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Where did the plastic go that the cutoff blade pushed out of the eyeware?

I think I saw the plastic debris hanging on the edge of the incision. Shouldn't there be anything flying loose and hitting the eye when the pair of glasses was hit by something (from a safety design point of view)?

Simon
That guy was likely flushing bits out of his eyes. 

Even if you wear prescription glasses use safety glasses over them. I've always pisshaw'd the need for something because I have really thick carbonate lenses. Until I destroyed a $350 prescription a couple months ago. Hot steel and slag burn into the material. I don't recommend safety lens prescriptions--they still melt and ding, and look like a moonscape.
(01-08-2019, 04:53 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I think I saw the plastic debris hanging on the edge of the incision. Shouldn't there be anything flying loose and hitting the eye when the pair of glasses was hit by something (from a safety design point of view)?

Simon

Shouldn't be.
There is a slot in the lenses now, plastic replaced by the cutoff blade.
Wish I had those *in hand* to look them over.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I've seen that happen, not to me though and not into the glasses. Cutoff wheel on a high speed air motor, almost instantly came apart. I do have the pieces in one of my machinist tool boxes, was evidence to convince management their shop foreman wasn't doing his job. Didn't work, crappy management.

I've worn prescription safety glasses for 30 years. Full face shield is nice as Peter mentioned. I had stuff get behind the glasses and side shields from top and bottom.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
...and remember, there is no more important safety rule than to wear these (tap, tap)... safety glasses.

Colin