Gunstock Checkering Tools
I have a wanted add posted downstairs in the "For Sale" section. Looking for checkering tools and inletting scrapers

Thanks
Check Brownell's website. I have a set that belonged to my father, 50's vintage if not a bit earlier, but I'm not planning on parting with them
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(01-09-2019, 06:29 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Check Brownell's website.  I have a set that belonged to my father, 50's vintage if not a bit earlier, but I'm not planning on parting with them

Looked at them already, but wanted to check here before pulling the trigger there.
I have 2 Gunline sets I may part with. One is a Leader in 20 LPI, and the other is Camp Perry in 18 LPI. I think I also have a Dem-Bart bare handle and a couple of checkering gauges.
I believe I picked up one of them used, but the other has only been used for a small practice piece.

PM me if interested.
I used to do considerable custom gunstock work. I preferred Dem-Bart. I used the small scrapers from Brownell's. I have sets of them but they are buried in a storage garage packed to the gills and I doubt I could find them easily or safely. I have also used Gunline. A mixture of brands is usually required to cover all of the potential tough spots one confronts. I have about 14 Pfeil small chisels that work miracles on inlets. They are doglegs with R and L skews and straight. There is nothing to compare. They are miniature scrapers for cigarette paper fit.

One of our members used to offer very small scrapers, maybe 3/4 inch by 1 1/2 inch. On doubles they were miracle workers. You might want to check out Stewart Mc Donald (guitar stuff) for Alan Carruth style scrapers. If the shape is appropriate, they are magic.
(01-10-2019, 09:00 AM)Lucky Irish Wrote: I have 2 Gunline sets I may part with. One is a Leader in 20 LPI, and the other is Camp Perry in 18 LPI. I think I also have a Dem-Bart bare handle and a couple of checkering gauges.
I believe I picked up one of them used, but the other has only been used for a small practice piece.

PM me if interested.

PM Sent