Marking gauge you can make
Politics 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfBcwZdp48k
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Seems awfully complicated.  He's got a lot of tooling - machines and the like - and he can't afford a marking gauge?
I like the knurling solution, never thought of doing that, nice trick.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-09-2019, 10:23 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Seems awfully complicated.  He's got a lot of tooling - machines and the like - and he can't afford a marking gauge?

Its more of the journey, at least it would be for me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-09-2019, 10:39 AM)Admiral Wrote: Its more of the journey, at least it would be for me.

I think the same thing.  Nothing like making your own tools if you can.  Means a lot more to you and IF you make them nice enough to sell a few if others like them.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Fun video; thanks Jack.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-09-2019, 07:29 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Fun video; thanks Jack.

I thought the "knurling" trick with the file was pretty clever, Gary...Rich picked up on it also....
Winkgrin

And, I'm pretty sure he already had marking gauges, but making his own was a personal "thing"...a "journey" unto itself....
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-09-2019, 10:23 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Seems awfully complicated.  He's got a lot of tooling - machines and the like - and he can't afford a marking gauge?

If you watch carefully you will see that his bandsaw is home made. Why would he buy a marking gauge when he can make one.
Smile
toolmakingart.com

When you have eliminated all unnecessary wood, then whatever remains, however well formed, is too small to serve as originally intended.
It is a cutting gauge for crossgrain use not just any marking gauge with a pin.
Cutting gauges don't come cheap. All the cheap ones have just a round pin.

By the way I have made a lot of tools myself. Even built some machines. Making what I can make means that I at least stand a chance to afford what I cannot make.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(01-16-2019, 04:03 AM)TGW Wrote: It is a cutting gauge for crossgrain use not just any marking gauge with a pin.
Cutting gauges don't come cheap. All the cheap ones have just a round pin.

By the way I have made a lot of tools myself. Even built some machines. Making what I can make means that I at least stand a chance to afford what I cannot make.

The "challenge" is not in buying tools...The challenge is in making them..Anybody with money can buy them..
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset