Block or ignore entire (sub) forums?
So... is there a way to view a list of all the new posts, *without* seeing all the 'noise' in the Off-Topic forum?  I'm not particularly interested in a few of the others (wood turning, etc.) at this point; at some later date that may change.  I thought there used to be an option on this forum to see just the *woodworking* posts, without all the personal drama and politics?
There is an option to not see any political posts in the basement. It is in your user settings.
As far as not seeing the complete off topic section, an admin can block you from posting/viewing that section.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Funny you are looking for a way to avoid the off topic forum.  Not clicking on it works.  I can't recall the last time I was in the finishing forum not sure it still exists
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-09-2019, 07:34 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: There is an option to not see any political posts in the basement. It is in your user settings.

Thanks, that helped some.  Still a lot of 'noise' there though. 

Quote:As far as not seeing the complete off topic section, an admin can block you from posting/viewing that section.

Might have to look into that...
(01-10-2019, 01:04 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Funny you are looking for a way to avoid the off topic forum.  Not clicking on it works.  

Yeah... not so much, if you use the "View New Posts" or "View Today's Posts" links at the upper right.

Normally quick and easy way to see all the new activity across multiple forums at a time (even turning/finishing ;
Wink ), it is pretty much swamped by posts in the 'Off-Topic' forum.  Like 2:1 to actual woodworking posts, maybe more.
I’m going to make a big announcement in the off topic forum around 4/1. It could change your life. But only if you see it.

Something to think about.
(01-10-2019, 04:35 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I’m going to make a big announcement in the off topic forum around 4/1. It could change your life. But only if you see it.

Something to think about.

Could we get a sneak preview?
Raised
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Hmmm... well, I tried a trick that works on another forum (SMC)... passing the forum ID #'s as parameters to the search function:

Code:
https://www.forums.woodnet.net/search.php?action=getnew&include=8,2,11,3,4

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the forum software *here*... appears to be a vBulletin thing, and not a myBB thing
Sad

Ah-hah! 
Winkgrin

Found an obscure reference in the myBB support forums to an apparently not-well-documented feature... anywho, for anyone interested, here's how ya make it work:

First, you need to find the forum ID # for the forums you *want* to see.  So from the main forum page, select a (sub) forum of interest.  Once that page is done loading, note the "fid" listed at the end of the URL:

Code:
https://www.forums.woodnet.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8

Make a list of the forum IDs that you want to see new posts in.  In my case, that looks like this:

Code:
https://www.forums.woodnet.net/search.php?action=getnew&fids=8,2,11,3,4

Be sure to highlight and copy that URL *before* you hit enter or click go, because once you send it off to the forum web server, it's going to come back looking something like this:

Code:
https://www.forums.woodnet.net/search.php?action=results&sid=39b73c71fe70caadc9489470d7abd667

which is a unique identifier for that one specific search at that point in time, not just 'show me the new posts in these forums'.

Now create a new bookmark, and paste that URL you saved into the address property for that bookmark, and save it.  Now, whenever you open that bookmark, it'll automagically run a search for all the new posts across *only* the (sub) forums you are interested in.  

You can still go back to the Off-Topic forum and argue about bathrooms and walls and whatnot anytime you want.  But when all you want to see is woodworking content, this appears to be a viable work-around.  

I'm pretty sure the links up there at the top *used* to be 'View All New Posts' and 'View New Woodworking Posts', but apparently at some point that got changed.

Cool  ......................
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020