Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep?
So i currently have my bedroom down to the studs-- redoing my drywall-- walls had no insulation, redoing some electrical...etc.
My better half wants wall mounted wall lights like a hotel room would have.  We have purchased the lights below, which allow either hardwiring, or comes with a plug.  I will put boxes in the wall for a cleaner look.  The only concern I have is that we will be making that an accent-wall by attaching wood flooring to the wall, on top of the new drywall.  Should I recess the boxes for just the drywall, or should I leave them out further with the wood flooring in mind?  
I'm thinking about just recessing for the depth of the drywall, and then use extension rings-- just in case I want to remove the wood flooring from the wall in a few years--any thoughts/concerns about doing this?

Colin
(01-10-2019, 11:06 AM)Cdshakes Wrote: So i currently have my bedroom down to the studs-- redoing my drywall-- walls had no insulation, redoing some electrical...etc.
My better half wants wall mounted wall lights like a hotel room would have.  We have purchased the lights below, which allow either hardwiring, or comes with a plug.  I will put boxes in the wall for a cleaner look.  The only concern I have is that we will be making that an accent-wall by attaching wood flooring to the wall, on top of the new drywall.  Should I recess the boxes for just the drywall, or should I leave them out further with the wood flooring in mind?  
I'm thinking about just recessing for the depth of the drywall, and then use extension rings-- just in case I want to remove the wood flooring from the wall in a few years--any thoughts/concerns about doing this?

Colin

Use an adjustable depth electrical box and move them in or out freely.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(01-10-2019, 11:06 AM)Cdshakes Wrote: So i currently have my bedroom down to the studs-- redoing my drywall-- walls had no insulation, redoing some electrical...etc.

Colin

The boxes in our finished basement were set for sheetrock but we put up car siding instead. We had to put in spacer rings to in effect make the boxes deeper. They could certainly be removed if someone want to change out the car siding for sheetrock. I've not seen adjustable boxes so there's something to investigate.
(01-10-2019, 11:06 AM)Cdshakes Wrote:  

Yes, that will make life much easier for you or the next owner that tears out your accent wall.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(01-10-2019, 11:57 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: Use an adjustable depth electrical box and move them in or out freely.

I originally said i hadn't seen these-- after a quick google search, i take that back--i have. but, are these available in round, or only for single/double gang?

Colin
Do the Google search again, but look at the 'Images' view. Lot's of options.
Check on the adjustable depth boxes at the borg, they might have enough travel.....

box linky

Ed
Look at a 4-1/2" metal octagonal box. They'll support more weight.. particularly leverage like that lamp might induce when manipulated. The Octagonal boxes are for lights and should mate up with the bracket that comes with the lamp. The borg should have the box and the metal extender. You can also get one (at the borg) with an L bracket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-City-4.../202601202

extension if needed.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Your lights will most likely fit a 2" x 3" box as well as an octagon or round.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(01-10-2019, 07:33 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Look at a 4-1/2" metal octagonal box. They'll support more weight.. particularly leverage like that lamp might induce when manipulated. The Octagonal boxes are for lights and should mate up with the bracket that comes with the lamp. The borg should have the box and the metal extender. You can also get one (at the borg) with an L bracket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-City-4.../202601202

extension if needed.

wow, the extension is deep!  i would only need like 1/2" for the thickness of the flooring.