American Woodshop
I am surprised that I don't see many comments here regarding Scott Phillips and his show The American Woodshop.

Admittedly he only has 30 minutes, but he really does some nice work.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

(01-10-2019, 12:33 PM)GeorgeV Wrote: I am surprised that I don't see many comments here regarding Scott Phillips and his show The American Woodshop.

Admittedly he only has 30 minutes, but he really does some nice work.

I have a hard time watching his show.  It is in large part an advertisement for whoever pays for the lights that day and the wife tie in.  It doesn't work for me
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I met both Scott Philips and Norm Abrams at a hardware show at McCormick Place in Chicago.  They were demonstrating products for different manufacturers.  I spent about 10 minutes talking to each of them.

I think the difference is that Norm is far more relatable than Philips.  Abrams' personality in person and on the screen seem like someone you definitely would like to spend time with.  

Philips seemed like a nice guy and he certainly knows his craft, I just think he does not quite have the charisma that Abrams has.  I even find Abrams' voice easier to listen to.  

That is my take on this.  I could be way off base.  But that is how I see it.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I will watch American Woodshop, but only when I'm on my exercise machine and I need a diversion.  Rarely will I watch any of the AW shows a second time.

I, too, have noticed the strong tie to sponsors.  Other shows also have sponsors.  I get it; sponsors pay the bills.  But Scott Phillips takes it pretty far.  Festool, Kreg, and Rikon have been the ones I notice the most lately.  Phillips is not afraid to push the gear, Festool's track saws in particular.

I learned a lot more from Norm's show than Scott Phillips' show.
(01-10-2019, 12:40 PM)Bob10 Wrote:  I have a hard time watching his show.  It is in large part an advertisement for whoever pays for the lights that day and the wife tie in.  It doesn't work for me

That kind of sums it up for me too Bob.
I can't stand to watch his show. I do because it's the only woodworking show my PBS station carries. He's only a few miles south of me, and iI have met him (once). His techniques are atrocious, and to offer them as the "correct" way to do things is (to me) unforgivable. He has a huge following in my area, and many folks will talk about the quality work he does. I suspect that the Phillips we see on TV is a very different fellow in person; but that's a guess on my part. In any case my criticism is of the show, he might well be a true craftsman otherwise, but he doesn't play one on TV. There's a lot of praise around here about he "buys all his own tools", so he's not pimping for the manufacturers or vendors. I don't know if that's true, but if he does buy his own tools I'd be willing to bet he doesn't pay what I do when I walk into a store. (step down off soapbox)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My local stations don't broadcast it at all; not that I miss it, when I used to tune in he wasn't doing anything of interest to me anyway.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I watch it from time to time especially during the winter months and I'm "trapped" indoors. Maybe I'm just blood thirsty IDK...guy scares me from a safety standpoint.

I've noticed on the most recent shows (new season ???) all of his tools have the manufacturer's name/logo covered with blue painter's tape. Blue tapes matches the Rikon and Kreg stuff pretty close. Festool, not so much. I assume no pay no play? Also noticed all the Laguna tools he had are gone and have been replaced by Rikon or other.  All are upfront sponsors as well as Woodcraft at the beginning but no product endorsement visually during the show. His wife is no longer appearing in the latest shows either. Her name appears in the credits at the end.

I probably should get out more.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Neither his projects nor his techniques impress me. Good for beginners though.

The product promotion part does not bother me, no matter who does it. Blame yourself if you fall for anything.

Simon
Nice guy, but IMO a wood butcher. Some of the most beautiful woods turned into some of the most ugly pieces. Admitedly it's been a while since I watched him maybe he has improved, I certainly hope so. And I don't like the way he talks over his wife.