American Woodshop
I've enjoyed watching his show.

I don't know if I can still find it now that I stream most everything.

He is a bit of a madman, I always cringe when I see him push stock through a blade so fast.
He seems like a really nice person—especially when supporting the needy.
His wife does nice scroll saw work.

My wife and I watch when nothing else is on and we can’t get outside.
She and I are certain he has no eye for design—his designs are fairly atrocious and his finishing techniques worse.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I don't get/pay for those channels. Never seen one of his shows I suppose. Shrug...
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-10-2019, 07:13 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I don't get/pay for those channels. Never seen one of his shows I suppose. Shrug...

Well, AW is on PBS; both the main channels and the "Create" channel.
(01-10-2019, 01:11 PM)WxMan Wrote: I will watch American Woodshop, but only when I'm on my exercise machine and I need a diversion.  Rarely will I watch any of the AW shows a second time.

I, too, have noticed the strong tie to sponsors.  Other shows also have sponsors.  I get it; sponsors pay the bills.  But Scott Phillips takes it pretty far.  Festool, Kreg, and Rikon have been the ones I notice the most lately.  Phillips is not afraid to push the gear, Festool's track saws in particular.

I learned a lot more from Norm's show than Scott Phillips' show.

Scott knows where his bread is buttered and plays the game well. I follow him on a Facebook and he is a really nice guy. However, when he uses pocket screws to put his door frames together I yell "c'mon man!"

From my understanding, he is actually a fantastic boat builder but that persona of him never gets to be on the show.
It's a woodworking show so I watch it. Not a big fan though. Seems his techniques are centered around the tools he wants to promote. I can't think of any of his projects that I've wanted to replicate. I'm not a great finisher, but he doesn't do a very good job either.
(01-10-2019, 07:20 PM)WxMan Wrote: Well, AW is on PBS; both the main channels and the "Create" channel.

I don't get local channels, which include PBS stations.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I watched him a few times when nothing else was on TV.
You can also watch him online thru the website. Well, you used to be able to.
Anyway, I saw him do some pretty shady stuff safety wise, and I don't recommend the way he does things like that.
I still have all my fingers, and I'm really surprized he does too.
I watched a couple of episodes and thought he was at first just some guy trying to begin a new woodworking hobby and really wanting at that. He seemed very physically awkward, also always over emphasizing things as he was pretending to be something he was not. His crafts were simple, he some how was able to connect with masters who made him look even more amateurish. I gave up watching his show. I recently seen a episode out of boredom. His basic carpentry skills are still lacking yet his acquisition of tools, sponsors, advertisers and audience still bewilder me. There are a bunch more talented woodworkers on YouTube who should have his place.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(01-10-2019, 12:51 PM)Cooler Wrote: I met both Scott Philips and Norm Abrams at a hardware show at McCormick Place in Chicago.  They were demonstrating products for different manufacturers.  I spent about 10 minutes talking to each of them.

I think the difference is that Norm is far more relatable than Philips.  Abrams' personality in person and on the screen seem like someone you definitely would like to spend time with.  

Philips seemed like a nice guy and he certainly knows his craft, I just think he does not quite have the charisma that Abrams has.  I even find Abrams' voice easier to listen to.  

That is my take on this.  I could be way off base.  But that is how I see it.

I think that's a fair assessment.One thing about New Yankee Workshop/This Old House is that the originator, Russell Morash had a background in theatre and TV production prior to his iconic shows. I suspect the producer/director(s) of American Woodshop don't.